Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Cambodia trip

• stollie77

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2011

Hi!

In August / September my girl and I will be travelling to Cambodia for three weeks.We will visit Phnom Penh (3 nights), Battambang (2 nights) and Siem Reap (4 nights) but are not sure about the rest.

After having done some additional research on Cambodia we are considering to include three extra regions in my trip:
    - Banlung and surroundings (4 nights, including travel)
    - Kampot and surroundings (4 nights, including travel)
    - Sihanoukville (2 nights)

Could anybody help me with the following::
    - Are Banlung, Kampot (incl Bokor) and Sihanoukville nice and interesting places to go? Does anybody have experiences with this? What are the nicest things to do in those places?
    - How are the road conditions towards Banlung in August/ September?
    - How are the weather conditions in those places? Does it rain all the time?

Alternatively I could skip these places and go to parts of Thailand or Laos instead. Suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Mark

#1 Posted: 11/6/2011 - 18:36

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

All places you mention are worth a trip for different reasons. Banlung is for nature and really being away. Kampot for pleasant countryside. Kampot is great to rent a motorbike and explore the laid back area. Sihanoukville itself is not particularly interesting or beautiful but has a great social scene for backpackers and some beautiful beaches on the islands.

Weatherwise it's not the best time to visit with a lot of rain and muddy sideroads. The main routes in Cambodia are fine though.

#2 Posted: 12/6/2011 - 13:51

• KhmerWays

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2011
    Location Cambodia

Banlung in August might be still okay to travel, but do not travel there in September as road conditions up there are just for experienced dirt bikers. The road to Banlung from Kratie is not paved. As eastwest mentioned, Snooky is not worth the money unless you wanna party, lots of backpackers. Kampot and Kep is just awesome, why not Siem Reap for a few days, we got plenty of things to discover, not just temples.
    What I can recommend is Kratie, stay 2 nights in this little colonial river town. From there you can continue your journey to the Laotian boarder and stay a few days at the Mekong falls, lots of water in the rainy season, visit Wat Phu and head further to the Bolevan Plateau, where one of the best coffee is produced.

#3 Posted: 19/6/2011 - 02:45

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I can't comment on Banlung, and S'Ville doesn't appeal much to me after a quick drive-through and from I've heard, .... but Kampot I thought was great for a few days. It's a nice riverside town. The only thing is that getting to Bokor isn't as straight forward as it used to be if that is your main reason for going. Search on this site for previous discussions.

#4 Posted: 19/6/2011 - 04:54

• gocbus

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2011

My girlfriend and I are planning to be in Cambodia August 5-13. We will be in PP and S-ville most of time. Siem Reap is a must if you have never been to Cambodia. If you guys are looking for another couple to hang out with let me know. ^^ Good luck!

#5 Posted: 28/6/2011 - 12:54

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

The road to banlung is much better than it was just a couple months ago. While not yet paved between Stung Treng and Banlung, it's flat and fast. 3.5 hours from Kratie to Banlung a week ago by Sorya. I couldn't believe it either.

It does some raining up here during wet season and travel to waterfalls, etc, by motorcycle is slower, but very doable and enjoyable. I swam in Yaklom Lake in the rain yesterday and it was awesome.

'sheeed

#6 Posted: 1/7/2011 - 11:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.