Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Beaches

• azsha6617

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2011
    Location United States

So far i've only experienced northern Thailand. I'd really like to relax on a dreamy, budget friendly, not so touristy beach sometime before going home (( in a month). Can this be found in Cambodia? or should i go somewhere elsewhere?

#1 Posted: 16/6/2011 - 18:35

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I saw you also posted in "Vietnam" and I think that Sihanoukville in Cambodia would be your best bet. It's cheap and the town has a social nightlife for budget backpackers. The main beaches are not that great though but the social aspect makes up for it if that's your thing.

The islands surrounding SHV have gorgeous beaches and are almost deserted with simple basic budget bungalows. Although perhaps too quiet for some people.

Depending on your interests SHV has probably what you're looking for. This site has an article on the islands around SHV. Check it out

#2 Posted: 16/6/2011 - 19:49

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

This site has an article on the islands around SHV

Do you have a link? I couldnt find it :/

#3 Posted: 16/6/2011 - 20:35

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

It's against my nature to spell things out but here you are:

http://www.travelfish.org/region/cambodia/southern_cambodia

In that section you should be able to click on the links to the islands relevant for you. Names of islands start with Koh

At the home page (top left column) under the Cambodian higlights you also find some links to the islands.

Even the rotating blogs in the upper part of the home page has an article on it.
    Good luck

#4 Posted: 17/6/2011 - 14:14

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

Thanks - that seems obvious now. Think i was having a blonde moment

#5 Posted: 17/6/2011 - 14:59

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I never made it to the islands in Cambodia, unfortunately so cam't offer an opinion there. However, if you're looking for quiet island type, don't rule out the some of the Thai islands on the Andaman coast. I'm thinking Koh Kradan, Koh Muk, Koh Ngai for starters. These are nothing like the more populated and popular islands such as Koh Samui, Koh Pha Nang, etc. Koh Kradan in particular was my favourite of the 3 that I mentioned. But just do your research to see if they are what you are looking for!

#6 Posted: 17/6/2011 - 16:20

• azsha6617

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2011
    Location United States

Thanks everyone!
    I did post in vietnam as well. pretty open to going to either. I've heard so much negative feedback on Thai islands i guess i had written them off. Crowded island is not how i want to end my holiday. No full moon party for me i have decided. Islands mentioned by busylizzy sound perfect. As does Sihanoukville. I am 24 so would like some sort of entertainment.
    Thanks for the input. I have some research to do.

#7 Posted: 18/6/2011 - 13:46

• KhmerWays

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2011
    Location Cambodia

www.canbypublications.com - a good guide book to most Cambodian destinations.

#8 Posted: 19/6/2011 - 02:28

• adclesta

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2011

Go to Sihanoukville for a night or 2 then get the 2 hour boat journey to koh rong, complete tropical paradise. About 10 days ago I went there, planning to go for 2 nights ended up staying for 7. You won't regret it!

#9 Posted: 19/6/2011 - 19:40

• Jimbobber

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2010

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend the main beaches at S-ville for a 'relaxing not so touristy beach' but the islands off the coast are complete paradise.

I didn't make it to Koh Rong, but can highly recommend Lazy beach and Rabbit island, which is off the coast of Kep.

If you don't fancy the boat trip, Otres beach, just a short moto ride from S-ville is a very relaxing spot with a nice, super chilled out beach.

Also, agree with Busy Lizzy regarding some quieter Andaman Coast islands in Thailand. Look up Ko Yao Noi - untarnished paradise!

#10 Posted: 20/6/2011 - 15:33

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hey Jimbobber - last I heard, Otres was pretty much shut down. I think the govt closed down all the places earlier this year. There was some discussion about it here on TF at the time. (Or are you aware that there are still places open?)

#11 Posted: 20/6/2011 - 16:58

• Jimbobber

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2010

Hey Busylizzy,

I was there last weekend and all seemed fine! Hadn't heard any word of Gov activity there during my 6 months in Cambodia... we visited 3 or 4 times...

An area just past Otres beach looks to have been flattened and I think development work will begin there at some point, although who knows when. The nice stretch of beach at Otres still has around 10-20 sets of bungalows and restaurants operating.

I guess the best advice would be to enjoy it while it remains low key...

#12 Posted: 20/6/2011 - 17:26

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Thanks Jim - that's good to know. I was under the impression that they had ALL been shut down. Be careful what you read in the media, I guess! I should have known better...

#13 Posted: 21/6/2011 - 03:04

• Jimbobber

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2010

coincidentally, I heard a rumour last last that Otres is 'to be flattened' for development...

who knows, ask for the latest news when you get to S-ville!

#14 Posted: 22/6/2011 - 12:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.