Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Travel Siem Reap to Chiang Mai

Posted by jcrowder on 29/1/2007 at 06:12

Hello,

Can you recommend airlines that can take me from Siem Reap to Chiang Mai? Looking for a mixture of good price, reputation and frequency of flights.

Thanks,
Jeff

#1 jcrowder has been a member since 30/6/2006. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/1/2007 at 09:32 admin

Hi Jeff,

No airlines fly that route direct to my knowledge -- you'd need to go via Bangkok, in which case the only carrier flying the route is Bangkok Airways -- and they're not cheap. From Bangkok to Chiang Mai though there's a host of carriers, including budget carriers Nok Air and Thai AirAsia.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by 21dee21 on 21/12/2011 at 04:05

Hi Jeff,

I just googled cheap flights from Chiang Mai to Siem Reap and come up with some sites, there was one there that went direct but I can't remember which one, looked at too many by now. Looking at doing the same but it's not cheap. Good luck.

#3 21dee21 has been a member since 19/12/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by exacto on 21/12/2011 at 14:57

Lao Airways is a fine carrier, but you'd likely need to connect through Vientiane and Luang Prabang for the trip to Chiang Mai and that wouldn't be cheap and there aren't frequent flights either.

If you've got the time, I think your best bet may be to make the overland trip to Thailand and then down to Bangkok to catch a flight to Chiang Mai on one of the discount airlines Somtam mentioned above. You could save a bit of time by catching a taxi back to Bangkok from the border. It wouldn't be the cheapest options, but the taxi could drop you off right at the airport, and would still be cheaper than the flight from Siem Reap to BKK. Cheers.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Sampan on 21/12/2011 at 19:26

Hi,

Vietnam airlines fly Siem Reap-Luang Prabang, and from there Lao airlines traffic Chiang Mai, price should be around 165 USD from LPB. (bookable online). Don't know the price with Vietnam airlines though..

#5 Sampan has been a member since 3/9/2009. Posts: 110

Posted by 21dee21 on 22/12/2011 at 06:47

Hi Jeff

Just found another site that you might be interested in called www.seat61.com, it has a list of timetables and prices plus has options on how to travel around Cambodia. Is a good site, I'm actually looking at it now as it has more info.

Good luck, check it out

#6 21dee21 has been a member since 19/12/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by inspiredbykrissi on 24/12/2011 at 09:31

Have you tried www.airasia.com? Im pretty sure you could fly to Chiang Mai via Bangkok for fairly cheap, most of the time cheaper than BK air or Thai air anyways.

Give them a go innit :)

#7 inspiredbykrissi has been a member since 9/12/2011. Posts: 68
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by cocoinkorea on 4/1/2012 at 10:42

Jeff, if you find something direct, can you send me a PM. I am also looking for that route. Thanks!

#8 cocoinkorea has been a member since 4/1/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by jcrowder on 4/1/2012 at 10:55

Hi Everyone, I actually posted that note 5 years ago now so I don't know if things have changed since 2007.

I didn't find any direct flight and we ended up flying Siem Reap to Bankok, then taking the night train to Chiang Mai . I made the mistake of not booking the overnight train a few days in advance and my friends and I had to go on separate trains because there were only single bunks available.

If anyone goes to the Bankok train station, ask for a guy tourism guy named Dang. Incredibly helpful, taught us lots of Thai phrases, told us where to go, planned our time in Chiang Mai with him, even got us food! He's a bit old so I don't know if he is still around. Great guy, full of energy and good spirit.

Hope some of that helps.

#9 jcrowder has been a member since 30/6/2006. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.