Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Travel Siem Reap to Chiang Mai

• jcrowder

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

Hello,

Can you recommend airlines that can take me from Siem Reap to Chiang Mai? Looking for a mixture of good price, reputation and frequency of flights.

Thanks,
    Jeff

#1 Posted: 29/1/2007 - 06:12

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Jeff,

No airlines fly that route direct to my knowledge -- you'd need to go via Bangkok, in which case the only carrier flying the route is Bangkok Airways -- and they're not cheap. From Bangkok to Chiang Mai though there's a host of carriers, including budget carriers Nok Air and Thai AirAsia.

#2 Posted: 29/1/2007 - 09:32

• 21dee21

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2011

Hi Jeff,

I just googled cheap flights from Chiang Mai to Siem Reap and come up with some sites, there was one there that went direct but I can't remember which one, looked at too many by now. Looking at doing the same but it's not cheap. Good luck.

#3 Posted: 21/12/2011 - 04:05

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Lao Airways is a fine carrier, but you'd likely need to connect through Vientiane and Luang Prabang for the trip to Chiang Mai and that wouldn't be cheap and there aren't frequent flights either.

If you've got the time, I think your best bet may be to make the overland trip to Thailand and then down to Bangkok to catch a flight to Chiang Mai on one of the discount airlines Somtam mentioned above. You could save a bit of time by catching a taxi back to Bangkok from the border. It wouldn't be the cheapest options, but the taxi could drop you off right at the airport, and would still be cheaper than the flight from Siem Reap to BKK. Cheers.

#4 Posted: 21/12/2011 - 14:57

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Hi,

Vietnam airlines fly Siem Reap-Luang Prabang, and from there Lao airlines traffic Chiang Mai, price should be around 165 USD from LPB. (bookable online). Don't know the price with Vietnam airlines though..

#5 Posted: 21/12/2011 - 19:26

• 21dee21

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2011

Hi Jeff

Just found another site that you might be interested in called www.seat61.com, it has a list of timetables and prices plus has options on how to travel around Cambodia. Is a good site, I'm actually looking at it now as it has more info.

Good luck, check it out

#6 Posted: 22/12/2011 - 06:47

• inspiredbyk-
    rissi

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2011

Have you tried www.airasia.com? Im pretty sure you could fly to Chiang Mai via Bangkok for fairly cheap, most of the time cheaper than BK air or Thai air anyways.

Give them a go innit :)

#7 Posted: 24/12/2011 - 09:31

• cocoinkorea

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2012

Jeff, if you find something direct, can you send me a PM. I am also looking for that route. Thanks!

#8 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 10:42

• jcrowder

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

Hi Everyone, I actually posted that note 5 years ago now so I don't know if things have changed since 2007.

I didn't find any direct flight and we ended up flying Siem Reap to Bankok, then taking the night train to Chiang Mai . I made the mistake of not booking the overnight train a few days in advance and my friends and I had to go on separate trains because there were only single bunks available.

If anyone goes to the Bankok train station, ask for a guy tourism guy named Dang. Incredibly helpful, taught us lots of Thai phrases, told us where to go, planned our time in Chiang Mai with him, even got us food! He's a bit old so I don't know if he is still around. Great guy, full of energy and good spirit.

Hope some of that helps.

#9 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 10:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel from Chiang Mai to Siem Reap ... By woiwoden on 14 Dec 2010 5 6688 16 Dec 2010
From Siem Reap to Chiang Mai ... By ElfieRose on 1 Nov 2011 1 2129 1 Nov 2011
Getting from Chiang Mai to Siem Reap. ... By Arikara1985 on 22 May 2013 2 1537 23 May 2013
Chiang Mai to Siem Reap Flights ... By mattzago on 5 Jan 2009 4 5278 9 Jan 2009
Feb. 9 - 25, Bangkok/Chiang Mai/Siem Reap ... By big_one_bitey on 3 Feb 2012 0 772 3 Feb 2012