Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Thailand and Cambodia- Where best to go?

• meeshakar

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2011
    Location United States

Hi,

So we have almost 3 weeks to travel around Cambodia and Thailand. 2 years back we did Chaing Mai and down to the islands Kho Phi Phi and Krabi region. This time we are flying into Bangkok and headed immediately to Siem Reap. Here are our thoughts and we would love feedback of any kind of where to go or if we should even skip Thailand all together!

Bangkok- Siem Reap
    Siem Reap- 4-5 days
    Head down to Sihanoukville (can this be done in one day or should we stop at Phnom Penh?
    Sihanoukville just a day and head to the islands Koh Rong for a few days.
    Maybe head down to Kep? Kampot?

Not really sure after this point. We do want to do some scuba diving and snorkeling and thought we would head back to Thailand for that leg of our journey. Ko Toh?

Or is that too much traveling. We would like to spend as much time in as few areas so we can really get to know the place instead of jumping from spot to spot. Maybe we should just do an entire trip to Cambodia? Is it worth missing Thailand?

We arent leaving until Feb. Our trip is Feb 8-28, so just shy of three weeks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

#1 Posted: 26/7/2011 - 07:11

• Advertisement

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Spend it all in Cambodia. Then you can see SR, Phnom Penh, Snooky (if you really want to), Kep, Kampot and then get off a bit and head to Kratie and Banlung or Mondulkiri or random places. Random places are fun.

'sheeed

#2 Posted: 26/7/2011 - 08:00

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi mee,

I'd stop in PP between Siem Reap and S'ville. Phnom Penh is worth a look by itself, and it will break up the trip and allow you to arrive in S'ville earlier in the day.

If you wanted to head back into Thailand to SCUBA, maybe the islands off the coast of Trat along Thailand's east coast will be a better option than travelling all the way over to Ko Tao. You'll find decent enough diving there and it is convenient to getting back to Bangkok from that part of Cambodia. Have fun. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 26/7/2011 - 08:06

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I think 3 days for Angkor is enough.You can make it SR-PP-SKV in one day but it's a hell of a long day.Better to have a look at PP for at least a night.I'm not a diver but I know there is diving from the islands off SKV so might be worth finding out about that as an option.Best way back then would be bus to Koh Khong, possibility of diving but I'm not sure if the guy has packed it in, anyway it's got a nice beach for a days rest and lots of tours into the forest.From Koh Kong it's a couple of hours to Trat and then 5 hours in a bus back to Bangkok.

#4 Posted: 26/7/2011 - 15:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.