Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Legal items to take back to UK?

• pikem11

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2011

I'm in Cambodia for the next couple of weeks. I was hoping to bring home some alcoholic drinks for friends and family.

Are there any drinks that are illegal to bring into the UK? Is Mekhong whiskey allowed?

I know that some of these drinks are legal in the UK, such as absinthe, but outside the EU they are made differently, so it would be better to check first!

Also, does anyone recommend any particular drinks? Cheers.

#1 Posted: 28/7/2011 - 21:24

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

If you want to give your friends a dreadful hangover try a bottle of Ginseng wine at $1 a bottle 20% proof. It doesn't taste too bad actually.
    If you really feel brave you could try bringing back one of those jars of alcohol containing spiders and snakes and other wildlife. I wonder what Customs would make of it though?

#2 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 00:08

• stevejames00

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

There is a limit on how much you bring back but I'm sure the whiskey will be ok.

#3 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 03:43

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

I think the wildlife drinks are definitely on the banned list. Sure I've seen similar bottles in the 'don't try this' display cabinets at Heathrow etc.

#4 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 10:56

• pikem11

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2011

I've seen the limit on quantities of alcohol I can bring, which seems Ok. But I doubt customs would allow wildlife drinks!

Does anyone know a link to a webpage showing a list of SPECIFIC banned substances/chemicals to take through customs? I can't find one.

Another thing, I'm currently in Sihanoukville, so drinks will be easily accessible. I'm not sure what the situation will be like in Siem reap. Should I buy stuff here or wait until I go to Siem reap next week?
    Thanks anyway!

#5 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 14:06

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Ah! the 50 cent beers on the beach in S'villle!
    Alcohol is much cheaper in Cambodia than Thailand.
    Spirits are the same price all over Cambodia so if your flying out of Bangkok buy a bottle in Cambodia. Remember the legal quantity is 1 litre.There's quite a hefty fine for bringing over the limit but many do as it's rare to be searched. SR is the same price as everywhere else.

#6 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 14:27

• pikem11

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2011

Not going to Thailand I'm afraid! Just in Cambodia till the 16th August. But the point in bringing something home is that:
    a) As you said, it's cheap
    b) I won't tell my friends that these things give you awful hangovers!

#7 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 14:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Shipping items back home ... By insearchofsunrise on 25 Aug 2006 9 11706 19 Oct 2010