Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2009

Any Strip Off bar in Phnom Penh

#1 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 13:00

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I'm presuming English is not your first language and that you mean 'strip of bars'?
    There are Streets 51, 104 and 118, in fact there are bars everywhere these days. The nicest is the Riverside area.
    If you mentioning the other possibility the answer is NO

#2 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 14:21

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Sayadian
    Are you serious? Cambodia doesn't have any gogo places or the like? Strange, although neither does Laos and Vietnam only underground, so maybe not that strange after all.

#3 Posted: 30/7/2011 - 18:26

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Very serious Madmac, the moral police here don't want to turn the country into another Thailand.Despite the fact you can't walk 5 yards without tripping over a prostitute in Wat Phnom or Street 51 the girls have to be properly dressed.Bar girls have to have skirts to their knees and no cleavage showing. Pole dancing is strictly verbotten as is dancing on the bar. About 15 months ago the police raided quite a few places, massages etc and dragged the girls away.Some of the owners are still languishing in gaol especially those who were profiting from prostitution by imposing bar fines.Of course it doesn't change the fact that sex for money exists.You can't stop the oldest trade.The freelancer places like Walkabout on Street 51 are full of girls.Not really relevant but Cambodia is the only place where the bar brawls are between women competing for men, and boy can those Vietnamese girls fight.

#4 Posted: 30/7/2011 - 19:38

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

There are girly bars with hookers in Phnom Penh, (eg the Walkabout) just not clubs with actual strippers.

I can't think of any in Thailand either...you have them in Mukdahan?

#5 Posted: 30/7/2011 - 19:38

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

This is familiar territory. Methinks we're heading down the road to Pattaya again ;-)
    Walkabout-avoid it like the plague full of vampires and skanks.

#6 Posted: 30/7/2011 - 20:21

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Pattaya is of no interest to the OP because it is not in Cambodia! ;-)

Walkabout-avoid it like the plague full of vampires and skanks.

I know... I got dragged in there by a curious friend for a look and it was a mistake. Horrible place, horrible atmosphere. I liked the Heart of Darkness much better. Was expecting gangs and gunfights but it reminded me more of a British pub on a Sunday afternoon and the music was OK too if I remember right.

#7 Posted: 30/7/2011 - 22:38

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Heart of Darkness used to have a reputation but it's pretty tame now; gone are the days when scores were settled by rolling a live grenade through the door.
    I suppose Martinis is the best bet for a night out as it's got an air-conditioned dance floor if you like Thai pop, a large cinema screen and a huge and rather quaint outdoor area to sit around in and serves half decent food. Again though it's full of the same girls who frequent Walkabout.The vampire comment was made only half in jest as a friend of mine was bitten on the arm right to the bone when he spurned the advances of a girl.

SBE I mentioned Pattaya because I thought you were trying to wind up Madmac again :-)

Personally, I prefer Mekhong River bar on the Riverfront at the end of Street 118 for it's excellent 75 cent beers and superb service. They also do a breakfast buffet for $2.75 from 7a.m. until 11.30 a.m and I often go there to stuff my face and drink the excellent coffee.Can't wait to get back in 2 weeks.Some hardy souls combine a night on the beer there with the breakfast.

#8 Posted: 30/7/2011 - 22:58

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I can't think of any in Thailand either...you have them in Mukdahan?"

SBE
    Have you been to Pattaya or Soi Cowboy or Nana?

Here in Muk we have two, but only one which is REALLY naughty.

#9 Posted: 31/7/2011 - 02:32

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Oh and my son lives in Khon Kaen, he told me there's a place called "Rad" which is notorious in that domaine. In Thailand it's endemic.

#10 Posted: 31/7/2011 - 02:33

• Advertisement

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I knew it...MM absolutely wants to talk about the sex industry in Thailand (yet again) even though the OP is asking about something in Cambodia.

I blame Sayadian for mentioning the other possibility. Please could you come back and clarify what it is you want to know ecilassim.

Anyway, to answer your question MM ...yes I have been to clubs in both Nana and Soi Cowboy (and Pattaya).

Most places contain very bored girls who are already mostly undressed. The girls wear numbers and spend most of the time shuffling round poles looking at themselves in a big mirror opposite the stage. They aren't very good pole dancers either. There's sexier pole dancing on CSI Las Vegas.

I've never seen a show involving an erotic striptease in Nana or Soi Cowboy ...ever.

You have TWO striptease clubs in Mukdahan??

#11 Posted: 31/7/2011 - 04:14

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Although I don't know of any of these sort of places in Cambodia if you ask a tuk-tuk driver I'm sure something can be 'arranged' as most things can in Cambodia if you've got the greenbacks.
    The moral crusade has been taken very seriously in Cambodia though; with even a General, who thought he was above the law, languishing in Prey Saw ( the less than salubrious prison here in PP). The guy in question was jailed for allowing certain sexual acts to take place in a public environment namely his bar. Mmmm, that's got you thinking!
    Word is that the real leader of Cambodia isn't Hun Sen but his wife Bun and her coffee circle.
    Taking money for providing sexual favours or shows is very much frowned on and I have it from the horses mouth, as it were, that the massage girls pocket all the money and the house does not take a percentage unlike Thailand.The parlour only receive money for the legit massage.Now you've learnt something I bet.;-)

#12 Posted: 31/7/2011 - 14:53

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

p.s I still thing the original poster meant. 'Strip of bars'.
    Perhaps he'd like to come back to clarify otherwise this thread is going to turn into sex tourist guide. OMG!
    It was the mention of go-go bars that started it, now I wonder who mentioned that?

BTW go-go bars!!! sounds like something out of the 1960's. Is this an Americanism still in useage?

#13 Posted: 31/7/2011 - 14:59

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Most places contain very bored girls who are already mostly undressed. The girls wear numbers and spend most of the time shuffling round poles looking at themselves in a big mirror opposite the stage. They aren't very good pole dancers either. There's sexier pole dancing on CSI Las Vegas."

Yep, it is absolutely uninteresting. The gogo places are just boring. I don't get it myself, so I am with you there.

"I've never seen a show involving an erotic striptease in Nana or Soi Cowboy ...ever."

I've only been to one club once on Soi Cowboy. And it was boring. "Erotic striptease"???? No. But the OP just said "strip off" so I am under the impression he meant your normal gogo place - but perhaps not.

"You have TWO striptease clubs in Mukdahan??"

We have two clubs where the girls get naked - I don't know if I would call them strip clubs as the dynamic is thoroughly different.

"It was the mention of go-go bars that started it, now I wonder who mentioned that?"

You did when you referenced "the other". And no, table dance is usually the term used and the event meant as well. Gogo refers to SBEs description - which is quite accurrate.

#14 Posted: 31/7/2011 - 15:18

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

TBH I don't have a clue what a go-go bar is, I can only guess.
    Cambodia has Hostess bars and bargirls, the latter working for the bar.
    Not all hostesses are prostitutes but bargirls are. It tends to confuse visitors from Thailand when they get refused by a hostess.
    It has freelancers called taxi-girls but no pole-dancing, striptease (is that what go-go means?) or sex shows. However it does have Khmer restaurants with lines of 'available' girls usually dressed in traditional costume to greet you at the entrance and down on the river at Kien svey ther is a quiant tradition of girls available to take on boat trips with discreet curtains between you and the oarsman.I know your going to ask how I know all this; well I used to have a Khmer girlfriend who used to enjoy indignanatly pointing it all out to me.She was a singer by the way not a taxi-girl.Though in Cambodia that is a thin line. :-)
    A couple of weeks before I came back to the UK for a visit we were walking through Wat Phnom at 5.30 in the morning. (It's my custom to get up early in the hot season) walking to Riverside for breakfast when we saw this solitary girl sitting on a bench dolled up to the nines, fresh make-up on.She'd obviously not been there all night because she looked so fresh.We went up to talk to her because we were intrigued to see a girl start 'work' so early. I had the surreal experience of listening to her and my girlfriend (who's European by the way) spend half an hour admiring each others clothes and talking about fashions.) There is obviously no stigma here against working girls by other women.They know that many have the choice between that or starving.

#15 Posted: 31/7/2011 - 17:02

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well, without going into definitions - at this point in the game gogo bars the girls largely get nude, or close to it. Coyote girls don't, but dance very suggestively.

As for stigma - for me personally I don't attach a moral judgement to the whole thing one way or the other. I just note reality. People are going to do what they are going to do, and it ain't my business. Girl wants to hook, have at it. Guy wants to buy sex - fine. I don't care. It is what it is. Many of the village girls around here have engaged in that practice at least part time if they had the goods to make it saleable. But I know plenty who haven't as well. Whatever floats their boat.

Same with who people date. I don't care if you date or marry whoever. If it works for you it's fine. I don't caste judgements on those things either, and I am not sure why some feel a need to.

#16 Posted: 31/7/2011 - 17:46

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I hope you haven't misconstrued my post Madmac.
    What I was trying to say was firstly how desperate a girl must be to start working at 5.30 a.m. and the fact that local, expat Western girls accept the situation.
    It's usually the backpackers who get on their 'high horse.'
    BTW have you ever met a girl who worked in that game who ever made any money?
    It's either frittered away, gambled away or stolen by the 'boyfriend.'
    Kind of sad really.

#17 Posted: 31/7/2011 - 20:31

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Yep, most of the girls have no experience in budgetary planning, and the money goes as quick as it comes...

#18 Posted: 31/7/2011 - 20:49

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Definitely an opening in Isan for a Financial Planner then.;-)

#19 Posted: 31/7/2011 - 21:01

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Having said all that, a lot of the girls do send hard cash back to their families. Some waste it, like the girls do. Others are barely subsisting, and so spend it on food and so forth. But for a few, they actually make real home improvements, or find ways to use that money to generate more (such as open a small business). I know one family in the village who has three girls who have "gone to work" in the industry, and they have now added 7 Rai to their rice farm, improved their house and made other small improvements to the overall family welfare. However, I would have to say they are the exception and most don't spend as wisely as that.

#20 Posted: 1/8/2011 - 10:42

• Voyagner

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2009

I think Khmer girls are more intent on getting out of poverty than Thai girls. I know one quite well who purchased a house in the same village as her mother and rebuilt and furnished her mothers house. She has come a long way from her life in Oddar Meanchey, sadly though she is childless and divorced and that concerns her more than the money now.

#21 Posted: 1/8/2011 - 12:39

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

The only way they get money, and I think this applies to Cambodia too is to marry a farang(barang). In Cambodia the girl sends money home and the father, brothers drink it away.When she comes home the family look at her with disdain.Amazing double standards

#22 Posted: 1/8/2011 - 12:52

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"In Cambodia the girl sends money home and the father, brothers drink it away.When she comes home the family look at her with disdain.Amazing double standards"

It's not just a double standard, it's ingratitude. Girl is making a sacrifice for the family, the least they can do is show some appreciation. And I do mean that's the least they can do.

#23 Posted: 1/8/2011 - 15:55

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

There's a Cambodian saying that sums up the lot of a girl.
    A man is like a diamond when he falls in the dirt you can wipe the dirt off and he shines again but a woman is like a piece of cloth when she falls in the dirt it won't come out.
    Feminism hasn't arrived in Cambodia yet.

#24 Posted: 1/8/2011 - 17:55

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Basic humanism sounds like it's struggling too. What is it about people that makes them want to sit around and judge others so much? I don't mind criticism about cultural habits and political decisions - that's fair game. But sitting around yacking and making someone, who already has a tough life, tougher? That's just annoying.

#25 Posted: 1/8/2011 - 22:45

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

It's the double-standards that amaze me, the hypocrisy. Cambodia is a very conservative country and in the villages life still remains very traditional. Part of this tradition is that a woman must remain pure. She shouldn't drink, smoke or have sex before marriage. All the money a family accumulates will go on the education and well-being of the sons. The woman's job is to care for the family and the home and she normally is the one who holds the household budget. Girls feel obliged to support the family and often go to the city in order to make money to help the family when it is struggling. This can be for a variety of reasons from general poverty to unexpected doctor's bills, death of the main breadwinner etc. They soon learn that it's not so easy to make enough money to live and send some home by working in the factories, though many do by working long hours of overtime fuelled by taking yaba or yama as they call it here.
    The alternative is bar work or freelancing in a bar or on the street.Being kind-hearted or responsible, call it what you will, the girl will suddenly send home larger amounts of money than would be the norm and the mother will notice. They'll accept the money but the girl will, from that time, become less valued.She has been sleeping with men with whom she isn't married.She is less marriageable.
    I know it stinks but that's the way it is here.Look at one of the Khmer words for prostitute, 'fallen woman'.
    BTW If she snares a Barang she will be 'reinstated' and get lots of kudos from the family.

#26 Posted: 2/8/2011 - 14:02

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

P.S. I apologise for going off thread but this is a subject I feel strongly about.

#27 Posted: 2/8/2011 - 14:03

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I am with you all the way Sayadian

My pet peeve is the rejection of people carrying HIV. My now deceased mother in law carried the virus, which ultimately became full blown AIDS. She had a host of physical problems, and ultimately it was her bad heart that killed her, but watching the village in which she grew up completely isolate her socially was pathetic - and I took every opportunity to remind them of that (somehow I remained popular - must be because I have money). To their credit after some years and constant harping by a small group of us they did begin to come around. But it was a struggle. For her boyfriend / husband (not my father in law) it's a sad time (he is also infected, which is how they met) as his children will have nothing to do with him and won't let him live with them. My wife and I have let him live on our farm, so he stays there now, but how sad it must be to be rejected by your own children because you carry HIV.

#28 Posted: 2/8/2011 - 20:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 1452 2 Mar 2014