Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Itinerary help

• mnmeadow

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2011

Hi all-

I've been following discussions on here for months, now that our trip is closer I wanted to post. My husband and I are coming to Cambodia for about 2 weeks at the end of August. Our current itinerary is:

Siem Reap/Angkor, 5 nights, 4 days
    Kratie , 2 nights, 1 full day
    Kampot, less than one day, no overnight
    Kep, 2 nights, 1 full day
    Phnom Penh, 2 days, 1 night

I was wondering if people thought Kratie is worth missing Battambang over? I don't think we have time to do both. It seemed like Kratie might have more to do/see than Battambang. Any opinions on this (or the above itinerary) would be much appreciated.

#1 Posted: 10/8/2011 - 02:59

• Advertisement

• chocgirl

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2010

You want to go from Kratie to Kampot to Kep within one day? That may be a little ambitious if you also want to sightsee a bit. Save some space for cake at EpicArts Cafe at the old market in Kampot!

For comparison, this was my itinerary:
    Phnom Penh - arrive 5PM, 2 nights, one day
    Kampot - arrive noonish, 1 night
    (next day: coutryside by motobike with seaside lunch in Kep, return to Kampot)
    leave 4PM to Sihanoukville for transfer onto nightbus to Siem Reap @ 8PM
    Siem Reap - arrive early morning, 5 nights & 5 days (4 days would have been enough - 3 days for temples, 1 day touring countryside on bike)

Are you planning to travel by bus or private car? If by bus, the one from Phnom Penh stopped in Kep first before continuing to Kampot. I am not sure if there is a direct bus service between Kratie and Kapot? Or between Siem Reap and Kratie for that matter. Most buses interchange in PP.

If you are a temple lover (like me) consider visiting Baeng Melea, it was one of the highlights of my stay in Cambodia.

#2 Posted: 13/8/2011 - 18:36

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi,
    I would make a stay in Kampot and skip Kratie . Kampot is a pleasent town which is undergoing a lot of restoration, & would rate it above Kratie.Also, travling to Kratie & then back again seems a bit much. Look at the map, Kratie is a bit out of the way.

Going SR, PP, Kampot & Kep cuts down on a lot of travel.
    Whatever you do enjoy it!

#3 Posted: 16/8/2011 - 18:06

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Would agree with mikethedriver, if you have any spare time after SR (4 days), PP (2 days), Kampot and Kep (3-4 days here, hire a motorbike and head to Kep for lunch each day and explore the beautiful surrounding countryside, then back to Kampot for riverside beers), you could chill on Otres Beach in Sihanoukville for a few days and enjoy the amazing fresh lobsters and pineapple.

PS Bodhi Villa in Kampot is hard to beat for accomodation.

#4 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 17:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.