Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Want to do three weeks in SE Asia

• Megan1990

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2011

Hi!

Im looking at doing 3 weeks in SE asia- i really want to do Vietnam and Cambodia and Loas if its possible!

Can someone help with the best places and how long in each! Im thinking that if i take about $2000 australian not including flight that it should be enough!

If anyone has an insight into the best way to do this then please let me no!

I really want to go to Hanoi- Phnom Pehn- Siem Reap and Ha Long Bay- would this be enough time?

Id be doing cheap accomo and cheap food- really rough backpackers style!

#1 Posted: 23/8/2011 - 12:26

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Well, with a budget of roughly $100 per day you hardly fit in the rough backpacker category. It certainly is enough money and you can enjoy the trip to the fullest.

Given your preferred places and budget you could visit the three countries. It would look like a few days Siem Reap - fly to Luang Prabang, stay there a few days. So you'll spend roughly 10 days in Cambodia and Laos. Then fly to Hanoi and visit Hanoi and Halong Bay and see northern Vietnam.

Flying all legs makes it less of a backpacker trip but that's the only way to see all three in 3 weeks. If you want to travel overland I'd say start in Cambodia and then travel Vietnam south to north and pick a few places of your interest. But you would have to skip Laos then

#2 Posted: 23/8/2011 - 14:46

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Definitely think your budget means you don't have to rough it too much! You can find a nice enough guesthouse room in Cambodia for about $10 - it'll be clean with a fan and maybe a TV or hot water. For around $20, you can get air con, hot water and something a bit prettier. Similar prices in Vietnam - I stayed in some nice guesthouses (outside of the main two cities) for $10-$15, sometimes with free breakfast too. Add a little extra for being in Saigon/ Hanoi . And if you want something luxurious, you can get a very nice room in a hotel with a pool for $40 in Phnom Penh /Siem Reap, perfect for a relaxing day.

Agree that flying will be your best option if you want a taste of all three countries. Having said that, a bus/boat trip from Phnom Penh to Saigon is well worth the experience. The Reunification Express in Vietnam would give you the opportunity to see a lot of the country from the window, as well as getting up close and personal with Vietnamese people. It goes between Saigon and Hanoi (an overnight journey), but there are other stops along the way. It's not quick, but it can be fun!

So long as it fits in your schedule, I'd strongly recommend an overnight trip to Halong Bay, not just a there-and-back day trip. It's beautiful and well worth the time. Hanoi and Saigon are very different cities, so spend some time in each if you can fit them in.

Have fun!

#3 Posted: 25/8/2011 - 09:16

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

9 days: Hanoi-Sapa-Halong Bay
    Fly to Saigon
    1 day: Saigon
    Fly to PP
    2 days: PP
    Overnight bus to Siem Reap
    3 days: Siem Reap/Temples
    Fly SR-Luang Prabang
    4 days: LP
    Home

#4 Posted: 25/8/2011 - 16:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.