Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

How to get From Siem Reap - Phnom Penh

• Aaron88

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2011

Hello,

I've been researching on how to go from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh and I'm have trouble booking flights with Cambodia Angkok Air. I was wondering;

- How to book with them if possible
    - Is it better with a private drive? Any contacts? What would the cost be? How long will the trip take?
    - I found that you can go by Boat and bus as well. Any recommendations on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Aaron

#1 Posted: 24/8/2011 - 23:26

• Advertisement

• Lawoat

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

Just take the bus, any guesthouse in Seam Reap will be more then happy to sell you tickets...just look around and see what the best price is....Just make sure you are on time at the pick up point, you wouldn't be the first one to sit on a plastic seat in the ail of the bus ;-)

Boat is indeed an option as well, but takes quit long if I am not mistaken (someone else will provide you this info ;-)

#2 Posted: 25/8/2011 - 00:14

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I'd probably just take the bus too. It isn't that long of a ride, much cheaper, and you'll get to see more of the countryside that way. I haven't heard too many good things about the boat, in that it is crowded, hot, full of fuel fumes, etc. But if adventure is your game....

#3 Posted: 25/8/2011 - 02:29

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

The bus ride is about 6 hours all up, including a 1/2 hour stop along the way at a town where you can grab a bite to eat, use the bathroom, etc.

I think the buses are fine and comfortable. I've done the trip 3 times now and have never seen them so overcrowded that people were sitting in the aisles. Bring some earplugs though to block out the extra-loud DVD's that will be playing. Cost was round $7-8 for a VIP bus 2 years ago, and that normally includes a pickup from your hotel/guesthouse.

I've always enjoyed the trip for the reasons that exacto says - it's an opportunity to enjoy the scenery and rural countryside.

#4 Posted: 25/8/2011 - 03:54

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Agreed. Great bus trip, if a little bumpy. I've only seen plastic chairs in the aisles in minibuses and the bus we got from PP to SR was a big bus. So might be worth confirming what type of bus it is. In my opinion - and unfortunately experience - boats are risky.

#5 Posted: 26/8/2011 - 10:25

• ajf

Click here to learn more about ajf
    Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2011
    Location South Africa

Hi - would anyone recommend maybe hiring bikes (dirt bikes/motor bikes - is this even possible to do?) and riding between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh

#6 Posted: 23/9/2011 - 15:24

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I don't see why you couldn't do it. The road is good enough and not too busy apart from a few places.

Only problem is getting the motorbikes back. If you intend to go back to SR you just rent for as many days as you wish and drive back. As far as I know there is no company that allows you to drop the bike in Phnom Penh. Even if the rental shop has family in PP, where you could drop the bikes, there would still be costs involved with getting the bikes back to SR.

Obviously take care with all the usual stuff concerning safe motorbiking in SE Asia.

#7 Posted: 23/9/2011 - 15:49

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I don't see why you couldn't do it. The road is good enough and not too busy apart from a few places.

Only problem is getting the motorbikes back. If you intend to go back to SR you just rent for as many days as you wish and drive back. As far as I know there is no company that allows you to drop the bike in Phnom Penh. Even if the rental shop has family in PP, where you could drop the bikes, there would still be costs involved with getting the bikes back to SR.

Obviously take care with all the usual stuff concerning safe motorbiking in SE Asia.

#8 Posted: 23/9/2011 - 15:49

• Nixxypie

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2011

I would recommend the bus. We paid either $9 or $10 for an overnight bus, leaving Siem Reap at midnight and arriving in PP at 6am, it was perfect as you had a bed on the bus and could sleep the entire way so you're not missing out on a day, although as someone else mentioned it is bumpy.

With regards to hiring a bike, personally I would only recommend it if you are a competant rider and have an idea of the roads, because 1) I'm an emergency nurse in the UK and have seen too many experienced riders who've been blown off their bike in the wind or hit a bump and have been paralysed for life or worse, and 2) in Vietnam I witnessed a head on collision of 2 bikes which left the men unconscious, bleeding and wrapped around their bikes in the middle of the road, and despite all of my experience at work it was one of the scariest things I've ever seen, especially since no one helped and traffic continued to drive right around them. For the price and the fact you can get the bus during the night I don't see any advantages of hiring a bike, but that's just my personal views.

#9 Posted: 23/9/2011 - 19:47

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Surely the bus is easier, cheaper and safer but that's not always the point of travelling isn't it?

I think there is much to be said for driving yourself. The road is scenic and in some parts really worthwhile to stop for a break and take it all in. A much better experience than watching from behind a window in the bus. But as you said it's personal.

Safety is obviously a concern but if you are sensible it shouldn't be a big risk. There are some excellent bike threads on this site as well and well worth reading if you consider this.

#10 Posted: 24/9/2011 - 14:31

• Advertisement

• LisaH

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2011

Does anyone have links to airlines who fly between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh?? The bus sounds like the best option but I would like to look at the option of flying. The prices, flight length etc.

#11 Posted: 19/10/2011 - 21:14

• gwapo

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2011

Take the Mekong express from SR to PP. They have trips at 6.30 and 7.30,the buses are comfortable and a hostess rides along to look after passengers. The fare is $11 (as of Oct 2011) and includes a bottle of water and a snack.The trip takes 6 hours and there is a 30 minute stop...avoid Paramount,its cheaper but you get what you pay for!

#12 Posted: 7/11/2011 - 10:23

• KatMachine

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2011

Hi, me and my husband took a bus from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh. I wrote something about it in my travel blog, including where I bought the ticket, the ride, the cost and what to expect in the road. Safe travels.
    Edit: snip - please no blog drops like this

#13 Posted: 15/1/2012 - 20:21

• andrewlra

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2011

Hi Aaron, Actually for booking the flight domestic in Cambodia, you can go to the travel agency. I would recommend the one that me and my friend have bought last time hmmmm.. their name is La Route sth but you can check their website : www.laroute-angkor.com.
    They can arrange for you with the good price ( cos we have check with the other agency too but the price here is cheaper and fast )

And if you go by bus or boat it take a long journey ( 5 to 6 hours ) but you can enjoy the view along the road :D Anyhow I would recommend you to consider the bus ticket if you want sth budget but if you have alot of person better try with van rental. For the bus ticket price is around 14 USD / Person, Phnom Penh - Siem reap. You can find the ticket at the agency that i recommend to you as well cos they also supply the bus ticket and boat ticket though. Have a very nice trip or I have their email if you want : rya@laroute-angkor.com

#14 Posted: 1/3/2012 - 22:16

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Hello Aaron88,

Cambodia Angkok Air has an office in Siem Reap (and one at the airport) where you can book/buy tickets. Tickets are also available trough most guest houses/travel agents around town. Shopping for the best price can be a worth it.

Happy trails...

#15 Posted: 2/3/2012 - 00:14

• 9thIslandTr-
    avel

Joined Travelfish
    15th June, 2012
    Location United States

I cannot seem to find info on the boat from SR to PP. Lots of posts on the net about PP to SR....any info on this in mid July? Thanx........

#16 Posted: 15/6/2012 - 21:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 988 2 Mar 2014
DIY phnom Penh to Siem Reap ... By ckh on 19 Feb 2010 8 6640 19 Sep 2010
Siem Reap to Phnom Penh ... By Pedrera on 15 Dec 2011 0 6872 15 Dec 2011
Phnom Penh to Siem Reap ... By anthony on 17 Nov 2006 4 6299 26 Dec 2006
bus to siem reap from phnom penh ... By netstar on 3 Jan 2007 2 5754 5 Jan 2007
One day in Phnom Penh and One day + in Siem Reap ... By Playground on 22 Sep 2008 4 6517 29 Sep 2008
Phnom Penh - Siem Reap by boat ... By sidhupi on 9 Jan 2009 3 4992 10 Jan 2009
I want to go on a boat from phnom penh to siem reap ... By euroguy44 on 11 Dec 2011 0 8442 11 Dec 2011
Siem Reap to Phnom Penh - 9 day itinerary ... By treenie on 24 Nov 2009 2 5140 8 Dec 2009
Travel from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap ... By Patrickx8 on 3 Jan 2009 0 5304 3 Jan 2009