Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Proposed Itinerary

• EvanR

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2011

Hello All, This is my first post on this forum. My wife and I will be in Siem Reap for a week from January 21-28 2012. I have a tentative itinerary(below) in mind and would appreciate any thoughts, changes, ideas or critisims that anyone may have. Thank You

Siem Reap Angkor Itinerary - January 21-28, 2012

Day 1-Saturday, January 21: Bangkok Air flight #PG913 arriving at 14:55, check in at Ta Prohm Hotel,go to Old Market and Pub Street area, sightseeing, shopping, dinner.

Day 2-Sunday, January 22: 5:00AM- Small Circuit in reverse: Sunrise atSra Srang, Banteay Kdei, Ta Prohm, TaNei, Ta Keo, Chapel of the Hospital, Spean Thma, Chao Say Thevoda, Thommanom,Victory Gate, Kleangs, Prasats Suor Prat, Terrace of the Elephants,Phimeanakas, Baphuon, Bayon, South Gate Angkor Thom, Sunset at Phnom Bakheng.

Day 3-Monday, January 23: 5:00AM- Sunrise at Angkor Wat, Large Circuit in reverse: Prasat Kravan, Pre Rup, East Mebon, Ta Som,Krol Ko, Neak Pean, Preah Khan, Banteay Prei, Prasat Prei, North Gate AngkorThom, Preah Pithu, Tep Pranam, Preah Palilay, Terrace of the Leper King, SouthGate Angkor Thom, Prasat Bei, BackseiChamkrong, Sunset at Angkor Wat (enterthrough East Gate).

Day 4-Tuesday, January 24: KbalSpean, Phnom Kulen, Banteay Srei , Banteay Samre ,Sunset at Pre Rup.

Day 5-Wednesday, January 25: KoKer, Beng Melea.

Day 6-Thursday, January 26: Rulous group, Kompong Khleang, Kompong Phluk, Sunset at Phnom Krom orTara Boat Sunset Cruise.

Day 7-Friday, January 27: ????

Day 8-Satarday, January 28: LaoAirlines flight #QV522 departing at 10:05.

#1 Posted: 25/8/2011 - 02:24

• Advertisement

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Day 7 - have a massage, find a pool and chill out! Most hotels allow non-guests to use their pool for a fee, or in exchange for buying food and drink. Several days around Angkor Wat can be very tiring (I speak from experience!). This would also be a good day for some shopping, coffees by the river, a wander around the non-tourist part of Siem Reap ...

#2 Posted: 25/8/2011 - 09:22

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Day 7 - have a massage, find a pool and chill out! Most hotels allow non-guests to use their pool for a fee, or in exchange for buying food and drink. Several days around Angkor Wat can be very tiring (I speak from experience!). This would also be a good day for some shopping, coffees by the river, a wander around the non-tourist part of Siem Reap ...

#3 Posted: 25/8/2011 - 09:22

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Assuming that you know a thing or two about the temples and are more interested in them than the average tourist, it's still a long time and you're trying to visit too many temples in 1 day. Especially the first 2 temple days. Also visit the Museum which has a great setup and a nice collection of artefacts.

Apart from the top 10-15 temples the rest look a lot the same. Only an expert can see and appreciate the small differences. 18 sites in 1 day is too much. They might be close to each other but you have to get out of your tuk-tuk/taxi spend at least 15-30 minutes in a place (that's for the minor ones), have some lunch, a drink and so on. Cut it back to 8-10 on a day and it's still a very busy day. A visit to a main temple can easily take up to 2-3 hours. Especially if you want to see the finer details and really explore the temple.

Also plan for return visits to the main temples. Different light/angle and crowds can make a huge difference in experience.

So my advise would be to visit the main ones first and see which appeals to you and is worthy of a return visit. Plan visits to the smaller ones around those main (return) visits.

My main temples are:
    Angkor Wat, Bayon, Ta Prohm, Elephant terrace, Preah Khan, Angkor Thom Gate (any), Phnom Kulen/Kbal Spean, Bantei Srey, Beng Melea.

So move a few smaller temples and return visits to your last two days and plan some "downtime" in. Really, 18 in 1 day is way too many. And don't forget the museum! It's really worth it.

#4 Posted: 25/8/2011 - 10:00

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Preah Khan is my very favourite!

#5 Posted: 25/8/2011 - 10:52

• EvanR

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2011

Thanks Abigail and Eastwest for your responses. Eastwest, I have heeded your advise and removed many of the smaller temples from my itinerary on the small and large circuits. I think I was trying to bite off more than I could chew. Thanks

#6 Posted: 26/8/2011 - 00:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Proposed Itinerary - 5 weeks ... By JenHarley on 23 Nov 2011 11 3174 6 Dec 2011