Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Ko Ker and Beng Melea

• EvanR

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2011

Could Ko Ker and Beng Melea be visited comfortably in one day or am I being to optimistic. Thanks

Evan

#1 Posted: 26/8/2011 - 00:05

• Advertisement

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 197

Since the road from Beng Mealea to Koh Ker has been upgraded theoretically, yes it's possible. Koh Ker is around 130 km from Siem Reap which I believe is now taking around 2 hours by car; with Beng Mealea on the way at around the 70 km mark. So by doing the maths of the travelling time and adding on a few hours for the temples you can see it will be a long and tiring day. But feasible.

I don't know how much time you have but when I went I over-nighted near Koh Ker and I would definitely recommend this in order to not sell yourself short on your time at the temples (Koh Ker is spread over quite a large site). The guesthouse was basic but clean and there was a simple restaurant close by that had cold cans of beer. What more do you need? Spread over 2 days it was much more relaxing.

#2 Posted: 26/8/2011 - 05:39

• rvdevan

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2012

Hi Kirsty,
    Greetings!
    We are in Siem Reap at the moment and wish to visit Beng Melea and Koh Ker , among others. The travel agents and guides suggest the only way is by car.
    Since you are talking about staying over night, I would like to ask what mode of transport did you use?
    Cheers!
    RV

#3 Posted: 14/1/2012 - 03:51

• chocgirl

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2010

RV, car is definitely recommended! You could go in tuktuk, but it's already two hours to Beng Melea & for such lengthy trip a car is just much more comfortable.

#4 Posted: 15/1/2012 - 17:49

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 197

Hi RV
    Yes, a car gives the most flexibility as you can use it to get between the temples too. We hired a taxi for the trip - I can't remember how much exactly but I think it was $50 which I negotiated directly with the taxi driver rather than going via a travel agent. That covered his costs for a 2 day trip including his overnight accommodation.

#5 Posted: 16/1/2012 - 10:58

• rvdevan

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2012

Thanks a lot for your responses.
    We managed to see both in about 10 hours. Started early and went to Koh Ker with a short Break fast stop on the way. It took under 3 hrs to reach Koh Ker. We spent 3 hrs there in all and made our for Beng Mealea , spent about 2 hours there.
    We checked and discussed and negotiated with 3 different taxi drivers. but somewhow could not get them to come below USD 80. Maybe this is the peak period?
    Thanks again all.

#6 Posted: 16/1/2012 - 23:30

• ilovecambod-
    ia

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

You should be happy with that price. At $80US I think you drove a hard bargain and found the rock bottom price. Prices are pretty much set for tourists in Siem Reap. I like to leave a 'little meat on the bone' in my deals. The huge smiles are worth it! :)

#7 Posted: 17/1/2012 - 06:47

• ilovecambod-
    ia

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2009

You should be happy with that price. At $80US I think you drove a hard bargain and found the rock bottom price. Prices are pretty much set for tourists in Siem Reap. I like to leave a 'little meat on the bone' in my deals. The huge smiles are worth it! :)

#8 Posted: 17/1/2012 - 06:47

• rvdevan

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2012

The driver was extremely happy and offered us a free ride to psar leu the next day. I can tell u that he was all smiles.
    :) :)

#9 Posted: 17/1/2012 - 06:59

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Given the distance from Siem Reap, by car is the best way. The two sites can definitely be seen in one day. We went out to Koh Ker first (Jan. '11), then stopped at Bang Malea on the way back. When we go back next November, we're going to do it the other way round, in hopes of dodging large crowds at Bang Malea. Also, I would recommend, no matter what time of day you're there, to enter Bang Malea from the west entrance. (Main entry is from the south.) There is a foot path off the road/highway where you can be dropped off and walk back in. Not that far, and a much quieter, beautiful way to come upon the place.

#10 Posted: 26/1/2012 - 21:48

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Beng Melea ... By Baston on 20 Aug 2012 2 1822 2 Sep 2012
Angkor pass required for Banteay Srei / Beng Melea / Kbal Spean? ... By misterwoods on 17 Jun 2009 10 4584 4 Oct 2011