Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Bangkok to Siem Reap

• loadabowl69

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2011

Traveling from Bangkok to Siem Reap by road. Hoping to get some information on tried and true arrangements. I will have Cambodia Visa prior to arrival. What are best options for limited stops for trip? Any companies in Bangkok that can arrange both transport on Thailand & Cambodia sides? Hopefully some cost info also. Going to be mid October.

Also, any suggestions for an economical guesthouse/lodging in Siem Reap? I will be a lone traveler.

#1 Posted: 31/8/2011 - 07:14

• Advertisement

• katielane18

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2010
    Location United States

When going overland from Bangkok to Siem Reap it is always better to do it on your own. There are several companies in Bangkok that will arrange it for you but it is just about always a scam. Don't do it! It's very easy to do on your own anyway. I don't know about the prices but you can take a cheap bus from Bangkok to the border, a tuk-tuk to the border, walk across, then a bus or taxi to Siem Reap. Just follow the hordes of other people doing the same thing and you should have no problem.

#2 Posted: 31/8/2011 - 14:47

• loadabowl69

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2011

Thanks katielane18, do you have any recommendations on places to stay in Siem Reap?

#3 Posted: 31/8/2011 - 23:13

• katielane18

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2010
    Location United States

I have stayed at Siem Reap Hostel both times I was there. I think it's a great hostel but I know that others think it's too expensive. However, that's my recommendation!

#4 Posted: 1/9/2011 - 10:16

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi,
    There are, apparently, a lot of scams on the BKK to SR route, mostly from tickets sold on KSR. So I would also say, 'do it yourself'. Can't say the cost from BKK to the border with Poipet, but once into Cambodia there is a free bus to the station. (You will, of course, be told you need to pay for tuk or bike, but no you don't). Once at the bus station the fare to SR is 9 US$ or 300 Baht. Do not change money at the border, Cambodia uses US$!

Unfortuneatly, there is no common bus station at SR so the bus driver will drop you next to his friends and their overpriced tuks tuks. Just walk away to the nearest main street & flag a tuk tuk down (in fact you won't even have to do that as they will stop immediately they see your with your bag!!! It will be cheaper than using the tuk tuks waiting at the bus stop)

There are many many guest houses in SR! The cheaper ones tend to be 10 to 15 mins walk from Pub Street & on the other side of the river. I am paying $6 a night for a double fan room with bath (but cold water). I think it's excellent; the room is large with TV & cleaned every day, we have the use of a large balcony plus outside area with free internet. It's called Home Sweet Home.
    I can recommend it and I checked out half a dozen or so before thinking this was the best value for money, but's it's only a suggestion.
    Mike

#5 Posted: 4/9/2011 - 14:42

• loadabowl69

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2011

Mike,

Thanks for the comments. Is Home Sweet Home, further from Pub Street as you stated above? I'll be checking out the Wat ruins during the day, but also looking to relax in the evenings and checking out the market.

How is the weather there currently?

Again thanks for the comments.
    Bruce

#6 Posted: 6/9/2011 - 03:11

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi Bruce,
    Home Sweet Home is a slow 15 min walk from Pub Street, or a $1 in a tuk tuk.
    Had a bit of rain, but it doesn't last too long. In the past 4 weeeks we've had to get a tuk tuk home on just 2 occasions because of the rain in the evening. However, when it rains it's very very heavy!!!

Actually, just left SR today so I'm writing this in Thailand!
    Mike

#7 Posted: 7/9/2011 - 20:20

• loadabowl69

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2011

Nice, I may have to give it a try next month. Any good stays in Bangkok, by the Emerald Palace you recommend? Gonna see sites during day and try and catch a Muay Thai match in the evening. Also close to good street vendors?

Good travels and thanks again!

#8 Posted: 7/9/2011 - 23:56

• KatMachine

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2011

Hi, this might help you. It's an account of my trip from Bangkok to Siem Reap in my travel blog, hope it would help you
    Edit: snip - please no blog drops like this

#9 Posted: 15/1/2012 - 20:27

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

I have a quick question as I am doing the same thing by train.. Do you suggest getting a visa before or once you arrive at the border? I was thinking of flying in from Koh Samui but flights seem a little expensive
    Thanks

#10 Posted: 19/1/2012 - 00:47

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Trip advice - Bangkok - Siem Reap - Ko Mak - Bangkok ... By JessandScott on 13 Jan 2009 13 5145 28 Jun 2010