Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Itinerary Review for 2 weeks in Cambodia.

• Peachula

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2011

I'll be in Cambodia for about 2 weeks, but I'll be coming from Laos and might end up taking a week from Cambodia and adding it to Laos. I only have about 2 weeks for each and the main areas I want to see are Siem Reap (of course) and Sihanoukville . Also, I've already included all approximate travel times in the itinerary as well.

DK/DD > (2h Bus/2h Boat) Stung Treng [8th]
    Stung Treng > (3h Bus) Kratie [8th, 9th, 10th]
    Kratie > (5h Bus) Phnom Penh [10th, 11th,]
    Phnom Penh > (4h Bus) Sihanoukville [12th, 13th, 14th, 15th,]
    Sihanoukville > (4h Bus) Phnom Penh [16th]
    Phnom Penh > (5h Bus) Siem Reap [16th, 17th, 18th,]
    Siem Reap > (5h Bus) Phnom Penh [19th]
    [Xdays: 19th, 20th, 21st]

#1 Posted: 31/8/2011 - 17:23

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Peachula,

Some observations:

- There is no need to go back to PP from Sihanoukville on your way to Siem Reap. There is a direct (overnight) bus from S'ville to SR (and the same in reverse), which takes about 10-11 hours.

- Kratie is nice, but unless you have a particular fondness for dolphins, I would recommend spending some of this time in Kampot/Kep. Very, nice cultural and chilled places with some of the best food I had in SE Asia.

- Assuming Sihanoukville will be your only opportunity to take in some beach time then you may want to go. However, be warned that it is not liked by many people. I did like it however and would highly recommend Otres Beach for some relaxed, quiet beach time away from the masses of touts (although there are some here, we found them a lot more manageable than elsewhere).

- You are passing proposing to pass through PP three times, which seems a bit inefficient TBH. Assuming you need to fly back from here, why not leave it until the end? If you can get from Kratie to SR (I didn't do this so am not sure if possible?), do something like the following:

Kratie: 2 days,
    Siem Reap/Temples: 4 days,
    Sihanoukville: 3 days,
    Kampot/Kep: 3 days,
    PP: 2 days.

This may potentially be a bit crammed but could be manageable given that the distances between Sville-Kampot-PP are all very short.

#2 Posted: 31/8/2011 - 20:45

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 212

I agree, this would be a much more efficient use of time particularly as any bus journey in Cambodia always seems to take a whole day even if it's only supposed to take 4 hours! You don't really need to overnight in Stung Treng if you're tight on time and yes, 3 nights is bit long in Kratie for the average visitor - I would also try and fit in Kampot. You can get from Kratie to Siem Reap in one hit although it involves a slightly indirect route. Plenty of people do it though and it would seem to make sense in this instance.

#3 Posted: 31/8/2011 - 21:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary Review for 2 weeks in Laos. ... By Peachula on 31 Aug 2011 5 1992 1 Sep 2011
6 weeks SE asia - review trip itinerary please :o) ... By leones707 on 11 May 2010 0 2235 11 May 2010
itinerary review - thailand laos - 3 weeks ... By timwillems on 7 Oct 2011 0 1529 7 Oct 2011
itinerary review - thailand laos - 3 weeks in november ... By timwillems on 7 Oct 2011 0 1362 7 Oct 2011
Itinerary review - Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia ... By wanderlust2010 on 17 May 2010 0 2466 17 May 2010