Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Sihanoukville to Bangkok

• mattbt

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Afternoon all

I'm going to be spending xmas in Sihanoukville and plan to leave on the 26th to head back to Bangkok. I looked at the options and i can catch a flight from PP for about £70 but dont really want to pay that for an hours flight. If i was to go by bus how long is it likly to take and whats the best route ?? I need to be back in Bangkok buy the evening of the 27th or morning of the 28th to meet friends, Is it best to head back towards the border at poipet ??

Anyone have any info on this route ??

Thanks

#1 Posted: 3/9/2011 - 22:19

• Advertisement

• mattbt

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Sorry to be a pain but also looking at places to stay and not many let you book in advance am i likely to be looking around for hours if i just turn up on the 20th without a place booked?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Posted: 3/9/2011 - 23:09

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Sihanoukville has plenty of budget accommodation so you should be able to find something quickly. May be not your preferred choice but it won't take hours if you aren't that picky.

As for getting to BKK. Did you try the search function on this website? It's easy and possible from Sihanoukville. Just ask any travel agent and they will sell you a ticket. It's a long day on the bus with many changes.

#3 Posted: 4/9/2011 - 09:17

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Sihanoukville has plenty of budget accommodation so you should be able to find something quickly. May be not your preferred choice but it won't take hours if you aren't that picky.

As for getting to BKK. Did you try the search function on this website? It's easy and possible from Sihanoukville. Just ask any travel agent and they will sell you a ticket. It's a long day on the bus with many changes.

#4 Posted: 4/9/2011 - 09:17

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010
    Total reviews: 4

Posted from within Vietnam.

As far as the hotel is concerned,it would be better to try and book in advance,as Sihanoukville at that time will be busy,but if you just turn up I'm sure you'll find somewhere,it just might be expensive and time consuming to do so.Virak Buntham has a bus service from Sihanoukville to Bangkok.The bus leaves SV at 08.00 to Koh Kong,there's an hours stop,a minibus or bus to the border and transport through,then a minibus to Bangkok from the Thai side.I've done the trip before(but to Pattaya instead of Bangkok)Cost then was about 28USD,might be a bit more now.You should get to Bangkok 20.00 or so,it's quite a long day but relatively hassle free

#5 Posted: 4/9/2011 - 09:18

• mattbt

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks for both your replies

I've nothing but search through this site over and over again, flying would be easier but i want to keep costs down but dont want hassle off people at the borders. But the bus you have mentioned sounds ok for me.

I'm now meeting friends in Sihanoukville on the 22nd so looking at maybe booking Beach road hoyel for a few days. When i arrive on the 20th i'll just have a look around town for somewhere to stay till then.

Thanks again for the pointers much appreciated. What will it be like in Sihanoukville over xmas ??

#6 Posted: 4/9/2011 - 22:48

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Nothing special. Very few decorations and the odd place will offer some special menu. It will be crowded with Cambodian families though since it's also a holiday for them but the main peak will be closer to New Year's eve.

In the backpacker area (around Beach Road) it's mostly business as usual with a few lights and Xmas songs thrown in for good measure.

Enjoy

#7 Posted: 5/9/2011 - 11:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.