Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

PP to Sihanoukville by 11am?

• kmc

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2011

Hi folks,

We're crashing in Phnom Penh for a night when we fly in in a couple of weeks but are hoping to be able to get to Sihanoukville by 11 or 11:30 the next morning in order to catch the 12pm boat to Lazy Beach. The earliest bus seems to go at 7am - do you reckon that stands any chance of getting us there and, if not, what the best alternatives are?

Thanks,
    Kris

#1 Posted: 7/9/2011 - 13:36

• Advertisement

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 215

I think you'd be VERY lucky if you did make that midday connection. Agents and bus companies will tell you it's a 4 hour journey but I've never done it in less than 5, often more. Maybe that makes me unlucky but it seems to be one of those journeys that always takes the best part of the day. Your alternative is a private taxi, but of course that's going to cost a bit more than the bus! From the way you've written I assume you are arriving by air directly into Phnom Penh rather than PP being a stopover en route from Siem Reap? As if it's the latter I would suggest the overnight bus direct from SR to Sihanoukville.

#2 Posted: 7/9/2011 - 14:28

• vermillion25

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2011
    Total reviews: 12

There's no way unless you hire a private driver or get an earlier bus; as previously stated, the buses take at least five hours, no matter what they tell you.

#3 Posted: 13/9/2011 - 18:42

• kmc

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2011

Thanks folks.

Can anyone recommend a reputable taxi driver for the trip who we could email to book beforehand?

#4 Posted: 13/9/2011 - 18:45

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 215

Unfortunately I can't recommend a specific PP taxi driver - someone else around here may be able to though ......

If not, your guest house should be able to help even if you only arrive in the evening.

#5 Posted: 13/9/2011 - 23:44

• ChrisLaub

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2011
    Location United States

Not sure if you're on a short trip, but spending the night in Sihanoukville isn't the worst thing in the world :)

#6 Posted: 20/9/2011 - 00:45

• kmc

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2011

For anyone wanting to do this trip, bank on it taking 4 hours minimum in a taxi. Ours left slightly later than we wanted (8am) but we *just* made our boat connection to Lazy Beach and arrived in Sihanoukville exactly at 12. The taxi driver was going pretty quickly and we only stopped once for a quick loo break. Price was $55 (would have been $50 outside of the holiday season apparently).

#7 Posted: 28/9/2011 - 08:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.