Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Quick Lakeside update?

• AGRO

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Headed to Phnom Penh tomorrow Sept 9/2011 and probably in and out of the city a few times.
    I know al about the situation at Lake Side and I know it's changing rapidly.

I did a search here and I can't seem to find any recent info. Is it worth it to head to Lakeside or go straight to the river front?

We're looking for nice clean cheap accommodation, as I remember the riverfront was a bit more expensive. Is this the same scenario?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 8/9/2011 - 17:51

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I haven't been to the Lakeside recently but it seems there isn't much left of it. I'm sure there's still some cheap guesthouses in operation but it has lost its "center of the backpackers-world" appeal.

Add to that that it's rainy season (flooded areas due to Lakeworks) and I would opt for something else. At the moment a new backpackers area hasn't been established. Your options are therefor scattered all over the city and it depends on your requirements. If you want to meet a lot of other westerners or just looking for cheap decent place with access to cheap eateries.

Riverside is still (relatively) expensive and not great value for money. I remember your posts about budget and I don't think riverside is best for you. Also because most eateries on the riverside aim for (normal) tourists. A few streets back from the riverside things are a lot cheaper.

#2 Posted: 9/9/2011 - 15:38

• AGRO

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2011

great thanks for the tips....we opted to take a tuk tuk's advice and he brought us to an area near the palace. It's not so bad here either.

#3 Posted: 9/9/2011 - 16:02

• kiaraangus

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2010

another area you might like to check out is the streets running south from phsar Orussey- 111-125, good neighbourhood with some nice guesthouses

#4 Posted: 10/9/2011 - 06:53

• AGRO

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2011

Found a place, and it gave me a whole new feeling for Phnom Penh .
    Don't get me wrong, Lakeside was cool and the sunsets were beautiful, but it kept me confined in that area.

I remember I'd walk to the riverside from there past the wat on the hill. And Phnom Penh was just a get in and get out kind of city.

But now that I've been forced t move elsewhere which was near the Royal Temple I'm around lots of beautiful public spaces, parks, the riverside, etc. It's not such a confined tourist ghetto.

I think it's pretty horrible with the forced evictions and all that, but all that aside I'm actually quite happy to be forced into the rest of town for longer periods of time

#5 Posted: 13/9/2011 - 17:22

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Completely agree with your views.
    Lakeside never did anything for me. Even though I'm not strictly a backpacker I do go sometimes to the backpackers ghettos but never in PP. Always found it too isolated.

Other good areas:
    - Near Russian market. A bit out of the way and also a bit isolated but great little eateries and good local vibe (mixed with a few foreigners) in that area.
    - As kiaraanugs said, the street that ends/starts at Orussei market. Narim2, Spring and other cheap guesthouses. Orussei is the commercial heart of PP and great alleys with foodstalls in the streets around it. Not that the food is necessarily great but certainly cheap. Also has decent manageable access to riverfront and so on.

Hope you enjoy PP

#6 Posted: 13/9/2011 - 18:14

• ChrisLaub

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2011
    Location United States

Might be too late but OK Guesthouse is AWESOME if you're looking to meet other backpackers in PP

#7 Posted: 20/9/2011 - 00:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.