Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

e-visas into Cambodia - any issues?

• gingersmith-

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2011

Hi all,

I've heard most of the uniformed border officials for both Cambodia and Vietnam are unscrupulous and regularly try to scam tourists regularly for anything they can. I'm planning on heading from Ho Chi Minh to the Moc Bai/Bavet crossing and have read in the LP that getting an e-visa can be a good way of bypassing such problems.

I was wondering if anyone could provide information on these to see if it's worth doing?

The website is for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for Cambodia (http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/) and seems pretty professional. The fees for visas are cheaper than what I've heard ($30 minimum) for Cambodia, too.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 8/9/2011 - 19:50

• Advertisement

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi,
    evisa's for Cambodia work well, I've used them twice. There are actually $5 more expensive than the correct visa fee of $20, but on the land border I've paid 1,000 Baht (about $33! and even heard of charges as high as 1,200 Baht). So I will always use evisa for Cambodia. However, you need to check they are acceptable at the crossing you are going to use. The drop down menu on the application lists only those check points that acccept them, so if your crossing isn't on the drop down menu you'll have to take your chances at the border.

You will need a scanned photo of yourself in passport sytle.i.e. head & shoulders - no sunglasses or lazing on the beach with a beer!! And you will need to print the visa, black & white is OK, though I've always printed in colour. It claims you need 3 working days for it to be processed, but I've always got it back the following day.
    Hope this helps,
    Mike

#2 Posted: 9/9/2011 - 13:15

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I've crossed the Bavet border many times and never had a problem. That was without e-visa.

Especially going to Cambodia it's all pretty simple and straightforward. I usually travel by bus and never was there a tourist that had problems obtaining the cambodian visa at the border. It's a pretty well-oiled machine.
    Unless you do the trip private, when you might speed up things, I don't see the need.

Perhaps those stories relate to other border crossings (Koh Kong on Cambodian side) but in my experience the Bavet crossing is well organised and pretty hassle-free if all your documents are in order.

#3 Posted: 9/9/2011 - 14:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.