Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Lodging for the visits to Preah Khan of Kampong Svay and Preah Vihear?

• cloud

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2010

I plan to visit Preah Khan of Kampong Svay and Preah Vihear by a bicycle starting from Kampong Thom. It seems I need to have lodging places near Preah Khan of Kampong Svay, Tbeng Meanchey and Preah Vihear. However, I was not able to locate any information on lodging in those places.

Are there lodging places in or near those areas?

I also wonder about the safety for the trip. I plant to have the bike trip alone. How will be the safety in the route?

#1 Posted: 9/9/2011 - 14:53

• Advertisement

• cloud

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2010

Some inforamtion on the lodging I collected after the posting my question here is as follows.

o Tbeng Meanchey : One picture of a hotel on Google Earth. It means there may be some, even thought it may not be sure. Confirmation needed.

o Preah Vihear : I found a writing, 'There is a little guesthouse at the base on the mountain.' I wonder which place 'the base on the mountain' means. Is it the small town which is located at the 3-way junction, about 5km away south from Preah Vihear? Google Earth shows its name as Angkrong. Correct?

o Preah Khan of Kampong Svay: Still nothing! Not only for the region of Preah Khan but also even for the entire path section from Kampong Thom to Preah Khan

Would somebody confirm, correct or add to the infornation on lodging?

#2 Posted: 11/9/2011 - 12:46

• cloud

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2010

I traveld those areas in last month and update the information.
    o Preah Vihear : It seems there were some but probably no more now. The reason for this guessing is that there was a change in policy about the tranportation between the temple and the bottom of the hill and private vehicles are not allowed to go there and traveleres are required to take a paid 4-wheel truck or a motordope provided by the autjority at the bottom of the hill. The paid transportation is not for an one-way but for a round trip and it does not give a travler an opportunity to stay over at the top of the hill. I did not confirm but I guess private motorcycles are not allowed either. The reason for this regulation, they explained, is because of the steep slope there.

However, there is a guesthouse at Sra Aem, which is located 30km away from the temple and is a place one needs to pass to go any other place in Campbodia from the temple.

o Preah Khan of Kampong Svay : There is one lodging facility but many beds in a shared big room with a public bathroom. The long name, ' Preah Khan of Kampong Svay ' was generally not understood by the local people and it seemed they call it as Prasat Bakan.

#3 Posted: 15/5/2012 - 10:21

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Regarding Preah Vihar.
    Does anybody know whether it is open from the Thai side now?
    There is a good road up to the temple in Thailand and much easier access.

#4 Posted: 15/5/2012 - 11:34

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

The last I heard it was open.

#5 Posted: 16/5/2012 - 08:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Preah Khan in Kampong Svay ... By oipank on 14 May 2006 0 2713 23 Jan 2010
A road between Beng Mealea and Preah Khan of Kampong Svay? ... By cloud on 30 Mar 2012 2 2162 3 Apr 2012
Plan to Prasat Preah Vihear and Preah Khan ... By cpkcon on 1 Aug 2007 6 5597 17 Feb 2010
Prasat Preah Vihear ... By IndygoIndy on 4 Oct 2009 4 3650 28 Jan 2010
Preah Vihear in July ... By fivesilver on 29 Mar 2009 8 3095 23 Jan 2010
Recent Preah Vihear experiences? ... By Lother on 24 Apr 2010 9 2857 16 Sep 2010
Ongoing feud regarding Preah Vihear temple ... By wegotoeleven on 14 Feb 2011 1 2607 14 Feb 2011
Which one is most breathtaking Preah Vihear, Koh Ker or Banteay Chmar? ... By squae on 22 Oct 2009 0 3164 25 Jan 2010
Beng Mealea, Preah Khan and Koh Ker ... By KirstyB on 19 Jan 2010 0 2525 23 Jan 2010
Shating a Taxi -Siem Reap to Preah Vihear, Koh Ker etc. ... By jaizan on 28 Nov 2013 0 397 28 Nov 2013