Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

cambodias islands... there not phuket yet are they?

• think87

Click here to learn more about think87
    Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

Ok i know thats not the case but i have read here and other places that the islands have for the most part been sold/leased with plans of grandeur. Ill be heading to alot of these islands in December and just seeing if anyone has been there recently or has any up to date info on whether or not all the good old bungalows and such will still be around.

thanks

#1 Posted: 10/9/2011 - 08:32

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Don't worry about that development. It won't happen for another 5-10 years.
    The big investors are still looking for money and it's not the right climate for it yet. These are multi-billion dollar projects that won't start overnight

#2 Posted: 10/9/2011 - 17:45

• giblet

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2010

#3 Posted: 12/9/2011 - 17:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Yeah, sadly five star places are lacking in Cambodia. But fortunately civilization is slowly arriving.

#4 Posted: 13/9/2011 - 18:55

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

Giblet....

Thanks for the links,they are great.

My wife and I will be in Sihanoukville for 8 days in early Janruary as part of a 34 holiday in Vietnam and Cambodia.

I love small laid back islands with not much going on and have been scouting out Koh Rong Saloem and Koh Rong.

We will most likely spend 3 days on each island and maybe only 2 days in the much busier Sihanoukville.

93 days to go...can't wait!

#5 Posted: 15/9/2011 - 08:39

• giblet

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2010

You might like these articles too, if you're trying to decide which island to visit. My

The best islands in Cambodia http://www.travelfish.org/feature/220
    The best places to stay on Cambodia's islands: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/225

honest opinion is you can completely skip Sihanoukville and just head to the islands. You'll have to go to Sihanoukville to catch a boat out, but if you get there before noon, you don't need to spend the night there.

#6 Posted: 15/9/2011 - 10:06

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

While those links are good, they are a bit outdated regarding accommodation. New (simple) resorts have developed recently and here is a more complete list. Not objective descriptions but you'll find enough information to base a decision on.

http://www.canbypublications.com/sihanoukville-cambodia/sihanoukville-tours.htm#Island Accommodations

#7 Posted: 15/9/2011 - 10:28

• giblet

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2010

Which are the new, simple resorts that you refer to?

#8 Posted: 15/9/2011 - 10:50

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

If you open both links you'll see that TF only lists 2 places for both Koh Rung and Koh Rong Samleum.
    The other site has 4 listings for KRS and 3 for KR. The rest seems self-explanatory to me.

#9 Posted: 15/9/2011 - 11:02

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

If you open both links you'll see that TF only lists 2 places for both Koh Rung and Koh Rong Samleum.
    The other site has 4 listings for KRS and 3 for KR. The rest seems self-explanatory to me.

#10 Posted: 15/9/2011 - 11:02

• Advertisement

• giblet

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2010

The article is the "best" accommodation on the islands, so it stands to reason that *all* accommodation wouldn't be listed. Seems self-explanatory to me. ;)

There are 6 listed on the actual Travelfish accommodation pages for Koh Rong :

http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation/cambodia/southern_cambodia/sihanoukville/koh_rong/all

and 3 for Koh Rong Saloem:

http://www.travelfish.org/location/cambodia/southern_cambodia/sihanoukville/koh_rong_saloem

#11 Posted: 15/9/2011 - 11:08

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

This place rocks!!!!

I posted on a few other forums about small islands like Ko Rong Saloem etc and got almost no feedback.

Small laid back secluded type islands are my absolute favorite travel destinations, no matter what country I visit..

Anyways, I really appreciate the links you guys posted and I'm definitly thinking of stopping at Kho Thmei Resort on my way up from Kampot to Sihanoukville .Has anyone been to Kho Thmei island?

Most likely we will stay in Sihanoukville for one day, as I need to satisfy my wifes love of shopping.Other than that, my partying days are pretty much over, so Sihanoukville might not be the best fit.

After one day in Sihanoukville, another small island (or two) stop over would be great as we will be doing Siam Reap, Can Tho, Phenom Penh, Hoi An and HCM for the cultural sightseeing (non beach) aspects of our holidays.

We will be also doing some bigger beach towns like Nha Trang and Phu Quoc so these small laid back secluded spots are what I'm looking for in the mix, as most likely I'll like them the most out of everything mentioned.

We have 34 days in Vietnam /Cambodia so I definitley want to spend a lot of it on small laid back islands somewhere.

Thanks,
    K&J

#12 Posted: 15/9/2011 - 12:14

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Then also consider dropping Nha Trang, which is similar to Sihanoukville in terms of atmosphere, and fit in Mui Ne or Con Dao if your budget can support it.

Assuming you make a loop through southern Vietnam you can also consider Ha Tien, Kep and Rabbit island as laid back coastal areas to spend a few days.

@giblet. You're right but the link you gave only had 2 options. Anyway thanks for correcting.

#13 Posted: 15/9/2011 - 12:46

• giblet

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2010

I've been to Koh Thmei and it's very laid back -- there's nothing there but Koh Thmei resort. It's a nice place to spend a few days relaxing. I am not sure if they are open at this time of year so you might check with them.

#14 Posted: 15/9/2011 - 13:50

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

Eastwest....
    Were definitly stopping in Kep amd Kampot for a day or two each on our way up to Sihanoukville and were also looking at Rabbit island.

My wife likes bigger places for shopping, so I have to go to Nha Trang to keep things in balance.

Giblet.....
    Thanks for the feedback on Koh Thmei. We are not going there until Janruary so they should be open. I sent them an email.

Thanks

#15 Posted: 15/9/2011 - 20:39

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Kev

Given your interest I strongly suggest you visit Con Dao islands. Flight tickets may take a little of the budget but for me it's (Con Son, the main island) the best island in the region.

Not the standard average tropical island, although it has tropical vegetation, in the middle of the rough open ocean and it has a rough beauty uncomparable with anything else in the region. It's not so much a beach island (there are some excellent ones though) but more a retreat island if you really want to get away from it all. I personally would drop Phu Quoc anytime for Con Dao.

And what sort of shopping is she looking for? Anything that can be bought in Nha Trang can be bought (cheaper) in HCMC. If you're headed that way I'd rather do the shopping in Hoi An, HCMC, Phnom Penh or Siem Reap. Those places have far more choice. You'll just have to sacrifice a day or two.

Enjoy the trip!

#16 Posted: 16/9/2011 - 09:53

• andrea13

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

Koh Rong was definitely my favourite place out of my whole trip. We spent the whole time there going "we are soooooo lucky!"

#17 Posted: 17/9/2011 - 06:45

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

Eastwest.....thanks for the shopping tips.

You are right, the big places like HCM and PP will probably offer much better deals than the beach towns like Nha Trang, Phu Quoc etc.

My wife likes to buy bags/purses, jewlery's (native, cosmetic and gold/silver),clothes and shoes.

I allways collect a native wood carving, a fridge magnet and a souvineer t-shirt or two.
    The wood carvings are something I really like to collect.

Also....

I was considering Con Dao sometime ago but heard mixed reviews. I'd love to check out everywhere but I've only got 34 days, so its tough.

Andrea13.....

You got my excited about Koh Rong, as I've stated before...."I love small laid back peaceful islands and rest and relaxation!"

#18 Posted: 17/9/2011 - 08:40

• ChrisLaub

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2011
    Location United States

Not even close to Phuket, and the islands off Kep are still super basic ($6/night bungalows, electricity 5 hours/day, super cheap food/beer). Phu Quoc has become more developed but still nothing like Phuket. I know you're heading to Sihanoukville, just wanted to highlight the fact that Cambodia has some relatively untouched islands still.

#19 Posted: 20/9/2011 - 00:27

• cjb86

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2011

great thread, really helpful forum!

#20 Posted: 20/9/2011 - 02:34

• giblet

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2010

@ChrisLaub Even the most developed Cambodian islands are still relatively undeveloped. None have electricity (except by generator), ATMs, airports, "real" hotels...it's not like Thailand

#21 Posted: 20/9/2011 - 09:56

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

It sounds like Phuket has become much too big for my liking, too comercialized, BUSY and expensive.

I was in Koh Samui and that was big too. Ko Phangan was more to my liking.

Having said that.....

It will be great to get to some of the smaller islands in Cambodia, because some day some of them will get developed and lose their peacefulness Like Phuket and Koh Samui .At one time, these were peaceful, laid back places.

Furthermore.....

My internet surfing has found me another possible small island destination.

Has anyone been to To Tang island and "Nomads land " beach bungalows.

Do a google search and checkout you tube vids as it seems like a real cool little peaceful laid back resort to spend a few days. It's a little ways out from Snook and they do island hopping tours of 12 other islands near by.....sound like my type of place.

Most likely I'm going to check it out.

#22 Posted: 20/9/2011 - 11:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.