Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Koh Rong development?

• kirstenl

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2011

Having read about Koh Rong on Travelfish, it sounds like the ideal place to visit. We plan to visit in November 2011. I read that there is a huge development happening on the island - some sort of luxury resort?

Does anyone know if the development is underway and if it is worth still going? I would rather go somewhere else if the whole island is under construction.

Any advice/feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Kirsten

#1 Posted: 13/9/2011 - 04:39

• Advertisement

• kmc

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2011

Kirsten,

I'll be there in a couple of weeks so will try to find out and let you know.

Kris

#2 Posted: 13/9/2011 - 04:59

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I think you're referring to Koh Pos, a little island just of the coast that is now connected through a bridge. Work there is well underway now.

As far is I know Koh Rong is not developing right now but kmc should know soon and I look forward to the report.

#3 Posted: 13/9/2011 - 09:38

• eskim0

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2011

The Royal Group has long held plans for a major development on Koh Rong - refer http://www.kohrong.com.kh/ - but I don't think it'll happen before your visit or anytime soon.

I was on the island last month (wish I was still there!!) and one of the managers at Paradise Bungalows seemed to think that the development was still 5+ years away, probably more.

There is no doubting Koh Rong's beauty. It is everything you would expect of a tropical paradise - long beaches with sand as white as snow, dense jungle and waterfalls in the middle and crystal clear waters all around. It's not perfect (typical of Asian beaches there is always rubbish lying around) but damn it's close. This is why you'll hear alot of people say, "Go now before it's too late!"

#4 Posted: 20/9/2011 - 17:20

• kmc

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2011

Unfortunately we couldn't get a boat to take us to Koh Rong from Koh Rong Samloem (first day we couldn't find a driver because of the holiday season, 2nd day the weather was too bad for a longtail to do the trip), so I can't give any info about developments - sorry!

#5 Posted: 28/9/2011 - 08:46

• marikaki

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2011

Hi, i am planning to go there in November as well but don't know where to stay... I am between Sok San and Angkor Chum, which is though very very new and no info or more photos are available. The village is close to there??

Thanx!

#6 Posted: 28/9/2011 - 15:15

• giblet

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2010

Koh Rong has huge development plans but so far no real progress has been made. You'll be fine in November.

@Marikaki, Sok San is a dump. The beach in front of it is nice but the bungalow I saw was really run down and the staff are horrible.

#7 Posted: 28/9/2011 - 17:07

• kirstenl

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2011

Great, thanks for all the feedback. It looks like I'll definitely be heading there in November!

@Marikari, I was thinking of staying at Monkey Island, but any other suggestions would be welcome. The "stay" section on TF seems to have some great advice.

#8 Posted: 28/9/2011 - 17:22

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

Kirstenl....

Hope you have a great time on Kong Rong!

We are planning to go there or some other smaller islands nearby, in early Janruary.

If you are up to it,please post a review after you've been there.

Thanks

#9 Posted: 29/9/2011 - 10:53

• sjale4

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2011

Hi
    I am planning on staying on Koh Rong, either at Monkey Island or Paradise bungalows in mid December 2011 (around christmas time).
    Does anyone know whether these places will be booked out around this time, i know this is a hard question, but i guess you can tell by how busy it is during the year.
    Or if anyone knows whether i can book in advance? i dont want to miss out!!!!!

#10 Posted: 30/9/2011 - 09:49

• Advertisement

• giblet

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2010

You can book in advance -- they probably won't be booked full, but do get quite busy on the weekends. I'd book at least a few weeks in advance to be safe.

#11 Posted: 30/9/2011 - 10:12

• sjale4

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2011

Do you know how i can book in advance for monkey island?
    Thanks!!!

#12 Posted: 30/9/2011 - 14:38

• giblet

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2010

Read the Travelfish review and get the contact details?

#13 Posted: 30/9/2011 - 14:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.