Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Cambodia in 8 days

• muratgungor-

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2011

Hello,

We are planning a trip to Singapore, followed by another one to either Cambodia or Bali, Indonesia for 8 days. If we go to Cambodia, we are thinking of seeing Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and Kompong Cham. How realistic is this? I know there is a one-week itinerary on Travelfish about this, but I'd like to hear people's opinions on the matter. Would it be too much of a rush, or will we be able to enjoy our time?

Thanks,
    Murat

#1 Posted: 26/9/2011 - 00:36

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Big question is why Kampong Cham? Adding Kampong Cham would make it rushed and the sights there are not on the same level as the other 2 places.

In general it's fine for 8 days but it all depends on your interests and travel style. Some people are templed out after 1 day, for others 5 days in Angkor is still too short. General consensus is that 3 days Angkor is enough and 2 days for PP. Siem Reap does have plenty of other excursions/activities to add another 2 days. That would have my preference over a trip to Kampong Cham.

#2 Posted: 26/9/2011 - 09:55

• muratgungor-

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2011

Thank you very much. Much helpful!

#3 Posted: 26/9/2011 - 14:18

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

"...it all depends on your interests and travel style."

Exactly so. Do some research & decide for yourself what interests you. Will this be your 1st trip to Cambodia? Eight days isn't a lot, and you do have to factor in travel times.

Having been to all three places, I would have to say Siem Reap/Angkor has the greatest number of "sights". Nonetheless, Phnom Penh is a fascinating city, and I found Kampong Cham to be most interesting in its own right. There are some things near in to town in Kampong Cham, but in the surrounding countryside there are (to me) even more interesting places to see. That requires more time.

A week ... which is essentially what you have ... isn't a great deal of time, and you may be better served by narrowing your focus. That is to say, Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. Keep in mind that two nights of a trip = one day of seeing things, by and large. So, if you actually have 8 days on the ground, one will be pretty much taken up by traveling between PP and SR. That leaves 7 days. If you add one stop (say, Kampong Thom, which is between PP and SR, or Battambang, also between PP and SR, but on a different road) that adds another travel day. Two travel days out of an 8 day journey leaves you with 5 days of seeing, relaxing, understanding.

I am admittedly not very good at telling people how to arrange their travels, so I go back to what I said above: do some research and decide for yourself what interests you.

Travel well!

#4 Posted: 30/9/2011 - 11:19

• muratgungor-

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2011

Thank you very much for your insight. It is very helpful to hear from travelers who have been to these destinations before.

Thanks!

#5 Posted: 30/9/2011 - 14:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.