Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Transportation Times: example getting from Ban Lung to Kratie

• Elisif

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2011

I'm trying to figure out travel times and I keep running into conflicting information. Does someone have the latest info. regarding how to get from Ban Lung to Kratie ? i.e. when do the earliest buses and/or taxis leave and how long does it typically take?

While I'm on a roll with asking questions...do you think it's possible to get from Kratie to Kampot in one day? I read somewhere that it's possible to take an "express minivan" at 6am to get to Phnom Penh in 4hrs and then catch a bus at 1pm to get to Kampot. I'm not sure if this is wishful thinking?

Also, is it true that it takes 2.5 hrs to get from Kampot to Sihanoukville?

Finally, I've read that it is possible to make it in one day from Siem Reap to Ban Lung by taking a connecting bus in Skuong (sp?) making for a very long day 12-14hrs. Also couldn't find confirmation of this anywhere.

I know some of this sounds crazy but if it is possible to combine some transportation in order to be able to experience more I would love it.

I know of course to take all of this information with a grain of salt due to breakdowns etc...but I was wondering if any of you lovely experts on here could shed some light. Thanks so much!

#1 Posted: 27/9/2011 - 09:22

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Wait until Rasheed posts or seek him through PM since he lives in northern Cambodia.

I live in the south and can only comment on Kampot to Sihanoukville : it's more like 2 hours with a short toilet break halfway. Road is good. All Kampot guesthouses sell tickets on minibuses to Sihanoukville and it's pretty well organized. Alternatively you could find a seat on a shared taxi although it doesn't gain you much in time or money compared to the minibus.

Last bus to Kampot leaves PP around 2 pm. (Sorya company)

#2 Posted: 27/9/2011 - 10:53

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Banlung to Kratie is about 3.5 hours at this point. Buses leave at 630 or 730am. Minivans or taxis leave when they are full, but usually go in the morning.

'sheeed

#3 Posted: 27/9/2011 - 21:28

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

We made this trip on 12 January of this year. Looking back at my journal, I see that we took a 6:30 Sorya bus (that left around 6:45 ... not too bad). About an hour and a half out of Ban Lung, just on the border with Stung Treng Province, the bus made a breakfast stop. Between there and Hwy. 14 there were a couple more stops (of the WC and smoking sort). At the junction with Hwy. 14 we stopped so the bus crew could clean the red dust out of the motor air filter.

From there, the trip went comparatively faster. Around 1/4 past 11 or 11:30 we made another meal stop only a few KM north of Kratie . We were in Kratie by around 12:30. That was in the dry season, mind you.

Regarding "if it is possible to combine some transportation in order to be able to experience more..." To me, just my own personal opinion, sometimes combining more means experiencing less.

Happy travels!

#4 Posted: 30/9/2011 - 10:42

• Elisif

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2011

Thank you for your help everyone :-)

#5 Posted: 30/9/2011 - 11:01

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

No problem.
    Have fun out there.

#6 Posted: 30/9/2011 - 11:42

• marrie11

Joined Travelfish
    22nd October, 2011

Transport Times is the UK's leading magazine for the transport professional – with the most influential readership, the best columnists.shocks and technological and compositional change in shaping the time series in transportation costs, and then draw out implications of these trends.Determinants of residential indoor and transportation activity times . The residential indoor and transportation times were collected .
    Star Distribution Systems

#7 Posted: 24/10/2011 - 16:38

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Thanks for the SPAM, marrie11.

#8 Posted: 24/10/2011 - 21:40

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I think it's very hard to pin down exact times for travel in Cambodia because of the relaxed (frustrating sometimes) attitude of the Khmer.

The last trip I took 2 weeks ago from Phnom Penh to Poipet was the slowest ever for me on this route-9& 1/2hours.The bus station is just around the corner for me and it's full of vendors selling everything from baguettes to beer but 5 minutes into the journey we stopped at a bakery so everyone could load up once more with cakes and bread.An hour later we stopped for breakfast and as usual I wandered how the Khmer can pack so much food away. 3 hours later a lunch stop but the most frustrating of all was the hour we spent in Sisiphon.The boys on the bus had a good laugh by 'kidnapping' the girls selling snacks and dropping them on the edge of town.This little escapade was obviously hilarious to the male passengers on board although the girls beneath the veneered smiles looked none too happy.
    Cambodia has also got a first for me in being the only country to improve a road and yet make a bus journey longer.When I first came to Cambodia the Phnom Penh -Sihanoukville bus rarely took more than 4 hours now they've managed to turn this into 5+ hours by re-routing the buses through the back streets of PP.
    Travel is never straightforward here.

#9 Posted: 24/10/2011 - 22:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.