Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Kampot/ Kep

• kara_12

Joined Travelfish
    7th August, 2011

Hey guys,

We are a couple in the mid 20s travelling around SEA and was wondering on what peoples opinions are on Kampot /Kep. Are they woth a visit? We look doing different activities and am a little worried we might get a little bored.

The main reason I would like to visit Kampot is for Bokor Hill tour, are tours still running?

Thanksss

#1 Posted: 1/10/2011 - 14:56

• Advertisement

• bpsea

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2011

I went to Kep last year, and there is plenty to keep you occupied for a few days. Very good fresh fish as well at the restaurants if that is your thing?

We visited a pepper plantation to sample some of the regions famous produce, and also visited Phnom Kompong Trach which is a cave with some rocks 'shaped' like animals, which was reasonably interesting.

#2 Posted: 1/10/2011 - 20:11

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

What sort of activities are you referring to?
    For day excursions Kampot/Kep is fine with beautiful countryside. Although none of the excursions are mind-blowing. Kampot/Kep is best enjoyed if you want a laid back time with a few things/activities to keep you occupied. 2-3 full days should be good for you. 1 day Bokor (which is open for tours) and 1-2 days visiting some places in the surrounding countryside.

If you're more looking for activities such as surfing, kayaking and so on, Sihanoukville is better.

#3 Posted: 2/10/2011 - 09:27

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I would definitely recommend Kampot / Kep for 3-4 days. I wouls suggest you base yourself in Kampot (the Bodhi Villa Guesthouse is excellent) and then hire a motorbike and head out around the surrounding countryside, stopping off in Kep for a fresh seafood lunch. There are pepper plantations in the area, some interesting caves and just beautiful countryisde. Try and make it back to Kampot then for a sunset beer by the river ($2 for a jug of Angkor).

A very relaxing, interesting and cultural place to spend a few days for sure.

#4 Posted: 3/10/2011 - 15:11

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I'm planning to go there as well... Thinking about Rabbit island also - :)

#5 Posted: 3/10/2011 - 16:10

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

I liked it down there ( Kep & Kampot). We stayed at Kep Lodge, but spent one night on Rabbit Island, which we enjoyed immensely. It was sort of a mid-journey break for us. Kep is quiet and relaxed. No really good beach there, but the one on Koh Tonsay (Rabbit Island) is ok, and there is inexpensive, beach-side massage available. Lots of crab to eat, as well.

As others have said, pepper plantations & cave temples in the vicinity. My understanding about Bokor - someone else feel free to jump in here - is that it's under redevelopment and access is limited. I've heard one can get a certain way up the hill by vehicle, then you're on foot from there.

Happy travels!

#6 Posted: 4/10/2011 - 10:21

• thebananaho-
    use

Click here to learn more about thebananahouse
    Joined Travelfish
    4th October, 2011
    Location Global Village

Hi,

Kep and Kampot are great destinations in southern Cambodia, and you will have enough activities to keep you busy or 2 - 3 days. Bokor can be visited with a tour that you organize through your guest house or through one of the tour operators in Kampot town. It is a full day tour so that is one day of your stay. So say you arrive here on day one around noon, you check into your guesthouse and rent a moto for the rest of the day to visit the pepper plantations near Kep and maybe have a late lunch of excellent crab in Kep. Then return to Kampot and spend the evening with a riverside walk and a dinner some place on the river. The next morning you go on your Bokor tour. I think the tour finishes with a boat ride around 5 or 6 pm. You have dinner some place and if you are in a hurry, head out the next day to your next destination. If you have a bit more time, you can spend one night on Rabbit Island just off the coast in Kep, you can visit some caves in the area, bike ride or moto ride in the country side, visit a pepper plantation, hike to sunset rock in Kep, do a mangrove tour in Kampot with a smaller boat, or check out the various tour operators for more options.

#7 Posted: 4/10/2011 - 11:37

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

We've allotted 3 days for both Kampot and Kep in our 32 day itinerary. Rabbit island was also a one day option.

From what I've read about these places, I already know it's not going to be enough. They both sound like excellent, laid back destinations!

The big problem....as allways, is that we don't want to cut time off of our other destinations either.

Can't wait until I retire!

#8 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 10:49

• kara_12

Joined Travelfish
    7th August, 2011

Thanks everyone for your replies
    Kampot/Kep sound like a good place to chill out for a couple of days but its disappointing about Bokor. The more I read about it the more it sounds like its not worth doing as a result of the construction.

#9 Posted: 7/10/2011 - 11:06

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I wouldn't say Bokor is not worth it anymore.
    Yes, there is construction going on but it's a huge area and construction is only in 2 locations (at least last time I went there).

A visit is still very worthwhile for the view alone and some of the old abandoned buildings are still untouched. Perhaps play it by ear and make it a last minute decision. Too early to scrap it off the itinerary now

#10 Posted: 7/10/2011 - 14:02

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.