Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Where to next...,?

• le1979

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2011

Hi guys and gals
    Currently in Phnom Penh having visited Siem Reap and Kampot too. Came up to Cambodia via Vietnam and now want to move on to either Laos or Thailand. I have 10 days worth of Malaria pills for Laos, a Chinese visa, a sister meeting me in Thailand on the 13th Novemeer and a flight to Oz on the 12th December.
    I want to avoid flying as much as possible until flying to Bangkok to meet my sister so I have a 30 day visa. So the ideas I'm toying with are:

-Overland to Vientianne by bus (23hours?) then up North towards Southern China to use my visa then fly from Kunming to Bangkok
    OR
    -Overland to Thailand now by bus then onto Vientianne and up into Southern China and fly in again for sister.
    OR
    -Don't bother travelling up into Southern China but get a trip organised when I'm in Laos. Then fly into Bangkok from there.

I can't get a visa on the border between Laos and Cambodia so will have to hang out at the embassy for a few days.

Has anyone done any of these or do you have any advice? The travel agent in PP thought I was crazy when I mentioned the bus up into Vientienne- he MAY be right :)

Thanks a lot

Ele

#1 Posted: 5/10/2011 - 18:18

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I'd say skip china unless you have a special reason to go. And going in 1 day Phnom Penh to Vientiane is ridiculous indeed and I'm almost certain you won't make it in 28 hours. What's the rush anyway and why miss out on so many beautiful things along the way?

My suggestion would be to work your way slowly up to southern Laos through Kampong Cham, Kratie and Stung Treng. Take some time in southern Laos and go steadily up to Luang Prabang. This is very doable in 1 month and then fly into Bangkok.

Dividing your time over both southern china and Laos won't do justice to either place unless you fly some parts and that seems undesired from what I understand from your post.

Good luck choosing

#2 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 10:29

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i was going to recommend the same thing as eastwest. laos is a really interesting place, and you can have a great time going all the way from south to north. you've got 4,000 island (si phan don) area, pakse and champasak, the bolevans plateau, savannakhet, thakhek, vientiane, vang vieng, luang prabang, and places north. you'll have enough time to settle in, enjoy those places, and perhaps even visit phonsavan and the plain of jars too. great beer. good food. good coffee. french wines. good variety. nice people.

that will give you plenty of time to plan your return flight to thailand as well. you can fly directly from luang prabang or make your way back to vientiane and fly to bangers from there. of course, you could also apply for a thai visa in laos and then you wouldn't even need to fly to get your 30 days. just a thought. whatever you decide, have fun. regards.

#3 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 10:59

• le1979

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2011

Hi thank you for the replies. I know what you mean about china as I don't think we'd be doing it any justice at all, but we'd be so close!! The problem with travelling thru Laos is that I only have 10 days of Malorone for the Malaria protection, but I agree that Travelling thru on the bus would be such a waste. Maybe bvest would be to go to Bangers from Pnompers(!) by bus and explore up thru Thailand then into Laos. I like the idea of getting the thai visa first then no flying at all. Hmm, with that you get multiple entries for 60 days, is that right??

#4 Posted: 7/10/2011 - 09:36

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I don't think the malaria situation should play such a big role in the decision.
    To my knowledge malaria isn't a big issue in the places along the tourist route. Perhaps in southern Laos but your tablets should cover that.

There is also no guarantee you won't get it Thailand either. In general malaria is only a real danger if you really go off the beaten track. Both in Laos and Thailand

Check Laos forum/site for dangers of malaria or consult a doctor. And Malarone is also for sale in SEA....

#5 Posted: 7/10/2011 - 14:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.