Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Mekong Discovery Trail - Stung Treng - Kratie

• sjale4

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2011

Hi,

I have been trying to acess the website - www.mekongdiscoverytrail.com to find out a little bit more information on this cycle/trek. However the website seems to have been closed down and i cannot find any information on this.

I was wondering if anyone has any information, or has done this themselves. We are planning on cycling the 190km trail over 3-4 days in december 2011.

Any info would be a great help :)
    Thanks!

#1 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 12:41

• Advertisement

• TJP

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2011

The site is currently undergoing renovation and needs to be off-line for a while. It will be back soon bigger and better than before, we are even including downloadable GPS and Google map files that will allow detailed navigation of the trail.
    My name is Trevor and I am working on this development project for SNV, UNWTO and the Cambodian Ministry of Tourism. You can contact me tpiper[at]snvworld[dot]org and I can send you some files and other information. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 11/10/2011 - 09:11

• Sarunn

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2011

hey sjale,
    Yeah I recently did this a few months back and can't rate it high enough. For sure the highlight of my trip in s.e.asia. I was a bit worried about technicalities - what'll happen when my bike tyre punctures, etc - but to no surprise the locals are always up for helping out. You don't have to go long before someone offers to give you a helping hand.
    We managed to get a lot of cheers and hellos from onlookers wondering what we were doing on cycles and not sat in cars traveling from one spot to another! sitting looking out a car window you just don't get to feel and see close to a fraction to what you get from a cycle.
    my last comments which i hope a fellow traveler would take up: help the locals out by traveling here and supporting their well-being. the beauty and smiles makes you jaded of the tough reality the chaps in this area have to manage day in day out. the mekong discovery trail was set up for this reason - i found out talking with people there that its helped draw attention to the north east area where not many people venture to.

Oh also - once you get to kratie i'd suggest getting a boat across to Koh Trong Island (you can't miss it - from the riverside just look across). The boat journey is about 10 minutes and costs 1,000Riel (25 cents). Once there stay at the home-stay -- amazing!! I love the wooden houses on stilts. the opportunity to sleep the night and wake up in one was a gift!!
    it's around 6$ per person per night (might be a little less, can't remember exactly). you can turn up without booking (once you get to Koh Trong Island there is an information hut just to the right, or follow the trail anti-clockwise and you'll eventually see a sign for it), or you can arrange it in advance (phone 855-12-674-880 or email ccd-kratie-org@hotmail.com)

have great fun and let me know how you get on!
    Sarunn

#3 Posted: 11/10/2011 - 10:12

• sjale4

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2011

Thank you TJP! I see now the website is up and running! Fantastic information and maps available, looks incredible!
    Thanks Sarunn for your information as well, we are still organising which rides we will do, i will definatly be heading to Koh Trong island!

#4 Posted: 21/10/2011 - 09:45

• jackal

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2011

Awesome information Sarrun! How and where did you organise a bike? We are looking to do this in December.

#5 Posted: 21/10/2011 - 09:48

• Sarunn

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2011

sjale - did you get the website working? www.mekongdiscoverytrail.com
    i see its up and running now..
    if you are sure for Koh Trong Island you should also go on to Koh Rougniv island which is north of kratie. I see the mekong discovery trail have got a map showing you where this is: www.mekongdiscoverytrail.com/html/Kratie_Trails.html - open the 100 Pillar Wat & Koh Phadau map (Koh Phadau is the village on Koh Rougniv island where it is really good to visit. and they also have homestay place. I stayed here 4 nights! the views here are really something - you are in the middle of the river looking down at the whole width of it..
    if you want to also arrange homestay here contact the Cambodian Rural Development Team (+855 233 57230). they can organise for you as they know the villagers really well and are a good team)

hey jackal i think there are a few options for bike rental: it depends on what you want, what is your budget. if you go from phnom penh you can hire a really good bike and take it with you on the bus or mini-bus (they'll find a way to put it in the trunk, don't worry). you can also rent a bike when you get to kratie. many options. there are 2 very reliable places on Street Samdach - this is the main riverside street. try Keang (no.55) or Ke Sokheang (No. 124) -- or ask your guesthouse. they might also have it. they are really cheap to hire.. most times $1 per day.

you can also go by motorbike if you want.. rent at any guesthouse and some cafe's.. i did this for a while and then got a bicycle. it is both very different experiences. but remember if you go to Koh Phadau village you can not take motobike on the small boat to cross the river. only bicycle can travel on the small boat. for koh trong island, it is ok for taking bicycle and moto on the boat to cross the river.

hey can i ask - do you go to stung treng? why not many people go there also?

#6 Posted: 21/10/2011 - 10:59

• Sarunn

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2011

hey i just found a really amazing website with good photos to show what i mean! lots of information aswell: http://www.camroads.com/destinations/steung-treng-

#7 Posted: 21/10/2011 - 11:36

• jackal

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2011

Thanks Sarunn! We only have about 4 days spare to do a section of the trail. I was trying to decide between Kratie and Steung Treng and decided on Kratie as I had read about the Koh Phadau homestay 2.5 day tour option, which you mentioned, and it sounds great so I decided on Kratie. Wish I had more time to do both!!

#8 Posted: 21/10/2011 - 15:23

• jocschneider

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2013

Hi everyone. I am looking to do this trail aswell but the website isn't working. Anyone know if it's still running?

#9 Posted: 16/8/2013 - 17:26

• Fabienne5050

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

Hello, I am also keen to do the trail in a week, but the website doesn't seem to be working and I am not sure how to go about booking this journey...?

#10 Posted: 29/12/2013 - 20:49

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
From Siem Reap to Stung Treng (Mekong Discovery Trial) ... By ingigi on 22 Oct 2010 0 4078 22 Oct 2010
Stung Treng or Kratie for dolphins? ... By MamaH on 11 Jan 2011 3 3704 17 Jan 2011
Stung Treng-->Kratie-->Kampong Cham-->PP ... By giroffle on 1 Sep 2011 12 4087 22 Oct 2011
Mekong Discovery Trail ... By stevie123 on 30 Jan 2014 0 285 30 Jan 2014
Best way to Stung Treng? ... By smkuchta on 5 May 2009 2 3298 6 May 2009
Stung Treng to SR ... By kramiro on 18 Jun 2013 2 1064 19 Jun 2013
Getting from Siem to Stung Treng ... By jeeeebus on 14 Apr 2013 2 1456 16 Apr 2013
stung treng / rattanakiri ... By vetsnl on 11 Sep 2008 0 2174 11 Sep 2008
Stung Treng to Ratanakiri? ... By jamesdueeast on 13 Mar 2013 2 1642 16 Mar 2013
Stung Treng updated ... By somtam2000 on 18 Aug 2009 0 3003 18 Aug 2009