Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Pailin to Siem Reap

• skipfeeney

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2011

Hi,

I am wanting to go on this little used border crossing to get from Koh Samet (thai) to Siem Reap. Is it easy to do? and when i cross the border where can i get a taxi from or do i need to pre book?

Thanks all

#1 Posted: 12/10/2011 - 18:02

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I can't comment on the border crossing since I haven't crossed there but I have traveled to and from Pailin . Pailin is not far from the border and I assume it will will be easy to find a ride to Pailin on either motor or car taxi.

Once in Pailin things are easy. There are regular (mini)buses going to Battambang over one of the best roads in Cambodia. Pailin to Battambang should take you roughly 1.5 hours. Minibuses (the real local variety) to B'bang go all through the day and the big buses leave in the morning for the big cities (Phnom Penh) further away and will stop in Battambang. From Battambang things are "normal" and it's definitely worth it to spend some time there before heading up to Siem Reap.

#2 Posted: 12/10/2011 - 18:26

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'over one of the best roads in Cambodia.'

So they've finally paved the road.Cambodia is moving rapidly now.
    I'll bear that in mind as I love the countryside around this crossing.

#3 Posted: 13/10/2011 - 19:22

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

Assume you mean via Ban Pakard / Phsa Prum in which case no problem from th border and as eastwest says easy journey to SR

#4 Posted: 13/10/2011 - 19:24

• skipfeeney

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2011

Thanks for your help - i am a little nervous about this part of the trip as I cant find any info!

What would be a good price for a taxi - Ban Pakard - Siem Reap? Also do i just flag one down from the street?

Thanks

#5 Posted: 13/10/2011 - 22:29

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Flagging down a taxi? Ban Pakard is certainly not New York.

Although I haven't crossed this border I don't think you should have any problems. Just read up on information about other crossings and you'll have a good idea about what to expect.

From the border take any transport to Pailin and try to find a real taxi in Pailin. At the border you will find inflated prices because you just arrived. Better to just get to Pailin, get your bearings and get taxi from there. If you get overcharged from border to Pailin it will only be a few dollars.

Taxis in Cambodia don't have any signs (a few just showed up in PP) and are just private cars. You just have to ask around and that's another reason why you should do it in Pailin. Better to go to a cafe or the taxi stand, sit down and ask people if they know a taxi and what the price is. I'm sure that in no time you will have some offers and you can take your pick of best car, driver and price.

#6 Posted: 14/10/2011 - 11:07

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

Agree do NOT even try to get transport all the way from the border. Do as suggested and get shared taxi or motor bike taxi to Pailin .

You may find a taxi going all the way from Pailin to SR but I doubt it and you would be best going first to Battembang and getting a second taxi or a bus from there. If you ask the taxi driver from Pailin he will drop you at the right taxi station or the bus station

#7 Posted: 14/10/2011 - 17:34

• Roger58

Joined Travelfish
    5th July, 2011

I was there last month, just 1h30 : http://cambodiaa.com/itinerary.php?dep=battambang&arr=pailin&lg=&ud=km

BR

#8 Posted: 16/10/2011 - 04:30

• skipfeeney

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2011

Thanks all - Will it be ok to do this route with the current rains / flooding?

#9 Posted: 18/10/2011 - 20:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.