Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

I want to propose to my GF in Siem Reap! Any ideas!?!

• skipfeeney

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2011

Hi All,

I am in Siem Reap in a few weeks and I want to propose to my GF - Has anyone got any good ideas oh where to do it? I am thinking about doing it on the balloon over looking Angkor Watt?

Has anyone got any good suggestions for a special meal at night time in Siem Reap?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 12/10/2011 - 23:55

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Check some of the 5-star hotels for exclusive dinner at one of the temples. It will cost you dearly but the occasion seems special enough.

In Siem Reap itself for dinner I would also just opt for a 5-star (Raffles, Victoria, De la Paix) hotel. Pub street and surroundings have great little restaurants but as far as I know none really have that special romantic setting.

Proposing in the balloon wouldn't be my choice, I find it an ugly yellow thing. But what do I know, I'm a guy. I'm sure some ladies here can give you better directions.

Here's what I would do if I couldn't afford the 5-star dinner:
    - Check out the main temples on the first day and find out which one she likes best.
    - On evening of first day ask your tuk tuk or taxi driver to organize some torches/candles & champagne. Ask him to arrange permission from Apsara to stay a little longer in the complex.
    - Before lunch on second day check again with driver if he has arranged everything. I live in Cambodia and some things need to be repeated (and repeated) just because they're not so used to this kind of thing. Don't worry most will try to help you to make it memorable.
    - On second day late afternoon/dusk you suggest to return to that favorite temple and make sure the torches are lit when you arrive. Around 6 most temples are (almost) empty and will have a beautiful atmosphere Bayon, Angkor Wat, Ta Prohm or the Terrace come to mind as suitable temples.

All the best man. Let us know how it went.

#2 Posted: 13/10/2011 - 10:33

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 215

I would agree with eastwests suggestions - a 5 star hotel would provide a slick service in a lovely environment; somewhere you could be pretty sure things would go to plan (in terms of logistics!). The 3 hotels eastwest mentions are also the ones I would check out as options. However, although it would require a bit more organisation on your part, for me the temple option would be an unforgettable setting. There would be a higher chance of things not going 100% to plan but might make it all the more memorable! More effort = more brownie points ;-) Depends on what kind of thing you think she'll prefer.

Some of the travel companies organise dinners at the temples for their groups so this is also something you may be able to arrange on a private basis.

I would forget the balloon too - not only is it a big yellow ugly thing it's tethered so just goes up and down and you'll probably have to share the experience with a large group of tourists from Korea or China ....... Not my idea of romance!

You may be a guy eastwest, but I think you are on the right track ..... ;-)

#3 Posted: 13/10/2011 - 11:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

If it's just the two of you in the balloon - it's a great idea. If it's a crowded basket with lots of people, bad idea, and a romantic restaraunt in a classy place is the way to go. On a side note, I've been married twice. My current wife is a classy woman, fantastic mother, and is definitely my better half. And it's still not easy. So keep that in mind Romeo. When the great nookie starts to get a little boring, and the things she used to do that were cute are now just annoying, that's when you got to keep perspective and think of all her good qualities that separated her from the pack in the first place. My wife can be a first class pain in the ass, but without her I'd probably be a drunken bum in the gutter now. My two cents, for what they're worth. Good luck Romeo.

#4 Posted: 13/10/2011 - 13:11

• skipfeeney

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2011

HA Ha! Thanks guys loved the response.

I think i am going to forget the balloon as i have seen a video of it and like everyone says it looks awful with all the netting and everything.

Someone i know had a quote for a temple dinner - 3400USD from Raffles?!!!

Liked your temple ideas Eastwest think that might be the one. I have also just found out that Victoria Hotel has an old white citreon vintage car and do tours?? - I have emailed them to see if they can do a special tour for us with champagne in the back. Not had a response yet but i quite like that one.

Which would be the best 5 star for dinner? - Raffles, Victoria, De la Paix?

Will keep you all posted, thanks for the feedback, if you have any more ideas keep them coming as i am seriously stressed a bit now!!! not long to go!

#5 Posted: 13/10/2011 - 22:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

3,400 USD? Ahhhh - yeah, like does it come with a human sacrifice or something? That's insane.

#6 Posted: 14/10/2011 - 00:44

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

That is insane indeed.

That old citroen is nice as well and you could consider it together with a temple proposal. Then they might also be able to organize those candles for you.

For food the hotels all serve the best quality at highest standard. You'll have to base your choice more on setting and atmosphere by checking their websites.
    - Raffles is for "old world" charm and in the heart of Siem Reap with possibly the most beautiful location and entry.
    - De la Paix is contemporary design and great if you or gf have interest in designer stuff
    - Victoria is new but built in old style. Probably somewhere between the above two.

Anyway, skip, if you decide to go with my plan I can give you more detailed advice. I have 10 years of experience in (upmarket) hospitality and have arranged numerous proposals for guests. Besides, I live in Cambodia and know (roughly) what is available/feasible and not.

Perhaps better to PM me once you've decided. No need to bore others with the finer details and logistics of proposals. It's not on the itinerary of most on this website.

#7 Posted: 14/10/2011 - 09:21

• KatMachine

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2011

To make it simple yet memorable, take her to one of the temples in Angkor Wat specifically the temple hospital, take her to the very top and propose to her, the rush of emotions from the climb and the proposal will make it unforgettable for her. Plus its not touristy there.

#8 Posted: 15/1/2012 - 20:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Skip,
    How did it go man? Inquiring readers want to know.

#9 Posted: 15/1/2012 - 22:17

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan
    Total reviews: 5

why not take a ride out to Kbal Spean, have your driver stop by some attractive looking rice fields out in the countryside amidst the idyllic coconut trees and rice paddies, and do it there?

#10 Posted: 16/1/2012 - 00:38

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I hope your girlfriend doesn't read TF!

#11 Posted: 16/1/2012 - 03:02

• skipfeeney

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2011

Hey All,

It went well, she said yes!!

In the end I booked a vintage car tour with the Victoria hotel. It took us to all the main temples then stopped for a pinic overlooking the temples. She loved it, but it was very pricey. If anyone fancies it then contact resa.angfkor@victoriahotels.asia

This is what i paid:

- Vintage Car US$ 250.00+(10%gorverment tax) per day.

- English guide US$ 33.00 per day.

So not cheap, I will admit but worth it. It was a special day!

#12 Posted: 16/1/2012 - 03:39

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan
    Total reviews: 5

Congrads!

#13 Posted: 16/1/2012 - 03:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.