Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Cambodia weather situation

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hello I'm suppose to be goIng to Cambodia Wednesday and would like an update with the flooding situation? Is it recommended to still go or would you advse against it I want to go to siem reap and Angkor wat mainly. Thanks

#1 Posted: 13/10/2011 - 14:20

• Advertisement

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Hi Potta-Boro:

We're in Siem Reap now ... arrived yesterday. The river is full and running into adjacent Khmer houses. Some water on streets in the town center, but it looks manageable. We went to Preah Khan & had to wade in through water ranging from 1 - 50cm deep. Mucky, so we took our shoes off, rather than leave them stuck in the mud. It was worth it. Almost no one else there, and very atmospheric.

Neak Pean & Ta Som have rather a lot of water in them, we were told. Angkor Wat, Bayon, Phnom Bakheng are wet but not under water. The moats around Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom are full, which is a beautiful thing to see, vs. last time we were here, which was in the dry season. We saw plenty of people at all three temples I noted above.

It seems, from the weather forecast, that the rain may begin to ease up over the next few days. I'd say, don't change your plans. The local people will be glad to see you, as business has really been off due to the rains.

#2 Posted: 15/10/2011 - 17:28

• loadabowl69

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2011

Have there been any changes in the weather as I'm due to arrive in Siem Reap tomorrow. Hopefully the water is not too much of an issue.

#3 Posted: 16/10/2011 - 13:34

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Today was a beautiful day. Sunny! There's a lot of water still - Siem Reap River is over its banks in many places. Almost all of the ruins are accessible. Some streets in town are full of water, but they can be gotten around. Local forecast calls for clearing and drier weather from tomorrow.

#4 Posted: 16/10/2011 - 17:34

• tinabobina

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2010

Hi,
    I read a few reports that said that travelling to Cambodia after such severe floods is likely to be pretty risky. Food contamination from flooded crops. Unsafe roads, high risk of Dengue fever etc. We were thinking of coming in December but is it better to put it off until our next holiday. Anyone know what are the risks after major floods? Thanks in advance

#5 Posted: 20/10/2011 - 17:04

• tinabobina

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2010

Hi,
    I read a few reports that said that travelling to Cambodia after such severe floods is likely to be pretty risky. Food contamination from flooded crops. Unsafe roads, high risk of Dengue fever etc. We were thinking of coming in December but is it better to put it off until our next holiday. Anyone know what are the risks after major floods? Thanks in advance

#6 Posted: 20/10/2011 - 17:05

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I think that's some hyperbole. It floods out here somewhere every year. This year is more extreme, but I wouldn't let it effect my plans (unless the flooding closes the airport).

#7 Posted: 20/10/2011 - 18:37

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I left Phnom Penh two weeks ago and will return next week.When I left you could already see the homeless, penniless and hungry making their way into the city.Unlike Thailand the Cambodian govt have done very little to alleviate the suffering the loss of the rice crop has and will cause. I'd say an increase in the crime rate is certainly on the cards.
    The bit about dangerous roads made me smile as Cambodian driving skills have always made the roads dangerous. I ride a motorbike and you cannot relax for one minute because of the lack of common sense and courtesy on the road.

Dengue fever-this has been getting worse every year even without the floods and the best way to avoid it is don't get bitten so DEET, burning coils and nets all get my vote.
    I'd say come and enjoy yourself, sure S.E.Asia is a more risky environment than New York or London but all you got to do is stay aware.

#8 Posted: 20/10/2011 - 18:46

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Hyperbole, as Mac called it, is a nice way to put it. Look here, December is solidly in drier time, it's been sunnier day by day, and if you're concerned about contaminated food and/or dengue, for g*d's sake don't come.

Seriously though, water is receding now, business is off, and folks here will be very happy to have you come and help out by renting rooms, eating in restaurants, etc., etc. Eat things that are completely cooked. Wash your hands. Use something to keep the mozzies at bay. Travel by local bus. See places and people, and have a marvelous time.

#9 Posted: 22/10/2011 - 21:19

• gwapo

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2011

I went to Cambodia to get away from the flooding in Philippines. I emailed my hotel in Seam Reap from PP to get an update on the situation. They informed us that Old Market and Pub street were affected also some parts of Angkor Wat. We saw the houses on each side of the road from PP were flooded with people and animals living on the roadside above the floodwater but apart from the Pub Street area in SR and some of the access parts of Angkor Wat we toured about as normal.The water seemed to be receeding around the riverside but as we left on 15th after a night of constant heavy rain, parts of town were waist high.The locals reckoned that Thailand's opening of flood gates has caused the exceptionally severe floods this year. Did not stop us seeing the sites but an umbrella and good crocs helped

#10 Posted: 23/10/2011 - 11:46

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'and good crocs helped'
    Are those the ones that don't eat you? ;-)

The Tonle Sap is as high now as the year 2000 heavy rains but I've heard it's beginning to dissipate.
    I'm crossing my fingers that it will be the same in Thailand as I'm concerned the waters will reach Suvannabhumi and I'm landing there on 1st Nov.

#11 Posted: 23/10/2011 - 19:51

• loadabowl69

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2011

Just got back from Siem Reap and saw Angkor Wat and many other out of the way temples. Water is receading, bring the DEET protection or maybe some ZPAC if you feel ill. I went to Old Market and Bar Street and a water is drying daily. Most temples do have water in them which makes them even cooler looking back at their history. I took TukTuks everyday and went out at night by myself without issue. I stayed at Shadow of Angkor 2 Guesthouse. These are both right off of the Siem Reap river.

Hope this helps. You do get alot of "sales" requests for trinkets, but that is pretty standard. I didn't witness or have any crime issues. Quite opposite in fact. Just recommend use common sense and take a TukTuk if worried about walking.

#12 Posted: 24/10/2011 - 10:12

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Hyperbole it may be for travellers with innoculations but this is a tragedy unfolding for Cambodia. Incidences of water-borne diseases shooting up, 20% of the rice crop destroyed and probably more as well as widespread homelessness. Strange that most of the flooding reports are about Thailand which has a much better infrastructure and government able to deal with it.

#13 Posted: 25/10/2011 - 16:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.