Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Booking hotels in Siem Reap... or not?

• KatjaKat

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2011

Hi!

I'll be in Siem Reap around 20 november. I'm travelling solo, and I'm thinking that booking hotels ahead might tie me down to a place even if I make friends who want to go to this great place an hour away from me... Is it a problem to just show up to the hotels in Siem Reap, or should I book to make sure all the decent spots aren't full?

If I do book, does anyone have any recommendations for a solo female (28) who wants to get to know people, but doen't necessarily need to party every night? That said, I don't mind drinking or partying but I'd like to be able to have a quiet chat and an early night if I want to...

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 18/10/2011 - 02:18

• Advertisement

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

Often times my strategy is to book somewhere for only the 1st night and in that way,yes one doesn't get tied down to a place that you don't like.

Whenever possible I rent a motor bike and tour around a bit checking things out for more permanent accomodations.

I've pulled into a small beach towns only to end up out of town because everything was completley booked....everywhere.

Siam Reap is really popular,but I don't know how busy it might be on Nov 20th.

Happy travels!

#2 Posted: 24/10/2011 - 07:09

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

It should be ok. No need to book. You haven't said in what sort of price range you're seeking accommodation though. Plenty of decent accommodation in every price range but you may have to look around a little on your first day. Just make sure you take a place within reach of center.

Besides, Siem Reap is not that big and almost everyone eats and drinks around pub street and most hotels guesthouses are about 10 minutes away from that.

@KevandJo
    I don't think they allow renting out of motorbikes in Siem Reap anymore

#3 Posted: 24/10/2011 - 10:03

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Business is still off in Siem Reap, so finding a decent place to stay should be no problem.

#4 Posted: 5/11/2011 - 09:04

• THEIBC

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Unless you are going to a very remote place and arriving at a silly time in the morning I would never book a hotel in Cambodia. We arrived at Siem Reap bus station late one night and couldn't move for drivers offering to take us to guesthouses and you always get them cheaper in person.

#5 Posted: 30/11/2011 - 15:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hotels in Siem Reap? ... By Apoloplaza on 11 Jan 2009 4 1444 13 Jan 2009
Booking Flight Hanoi-Siem Reap ... By smash on 7 Dec 2009 1 2246 8 Dec 2009
Booking hotels through Agoda ... By apeiron75 on 20 Oct 2013 9 1118 9 Jan 2014
http://www.hotels-phuquoc.com as a booking service ... By KazAussie on 24 Sep 2009 5 1120 25 Sep 2009