Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

rough draft of cambodia-thailand itinerary - feedback please!!

• akhut

Joined Travelfish
    1st November, 2006

Cambodia/Thailand Itinerary

Friday 3/23 - Arrive Phnom Penh 10:20am

Saturday 3/24 - Phnom Penh
    - Wedding

Sunday 3/25 - Phnom Penh
    - Wedding

Monday 3/26 - Phnom Penh
    - Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, Killing Fields of Choeung Ek

Tuesday 3/27 - Travel day to Siemreap

Wednesday 3/28 - Siemreap
    - Angkor Wat
    - Psar Chaa Market

Thursday 3/29 - Siemreap
    - Angkor Thom
    - Angkor Hospital Tour

Friday 3/30 - Siemreap
    - Floating village of Chong Kneas

Saturday 3/31 - Siemreap

Sunday 4/1 - Travel to Bangkok - Fly Bangkok Airways

Monday 4/2 - Bangkok - New Siam II
    - Grand Palace, Khao San Road shops, MBK, Floating market

Tuesday 4/3 - Travel to Trat --> Ko Chang - Bhumiyama Beach Resort

Wednesday 4/4 - Ko Chang

Thursday 4/5 - Ko Chang

Friday 4/6 - Ko Chang

Saturday 4/7 - Travel to Sihanoukville

Sunday 4/8 - Sihanoukville - House of Malibu

Monday 4/9 - Sihanoukville

Tuesday 4/10 - Travel to Kampot ~2.5hrs drive

Wednesday 4/11 - Kampot - Blissful Guesthouse
    - Tek Chhouu Falls, Caves, Bokor National Park

Thursday 4/12 - Travel back to Phnom Penh ~2.5hrs drive

Friday 4/13 - Leave Phnom Penh 10:50am

*We had 2 weddings to attend while we're in phnom penh! Has anyone been to the accomodations I've listed above? I would love feedback.. good and bad! Is this doable? I haven't booked anything yet... I'm just starting to plan it out. Thank you everyone!

#1 Posted: 15/2/2007 - 05:32

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Looks like a good itinerary to me -- accommodation wise, I've not slept at Bhumiyama Beach Resort on Ko Chang, but House of Malibu is OK -- Malibu Bungalows (around the headland on Sokha Beach) is better -- same owner. Blissful is a great, old style guesthouse place -- facilities are basic, but difficult to go wrong there.

#2 Posted: 15/2/2007 - 21:23

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006
    Total reviews: 13

Hi Akhut

Personally I'd skip the floating village of Chong Kneas. It costs $15 each and only lasts for about 90 mins and you still have to pay to get to and from Tonle Sap. When you buy your ticket they tell you that there is no more expense involved - but you are taken to a floating cafe/crocodile farm/souvenir shop and you are asked to buy something 'if only a bottle of water'. On return to the mainland your boat driver tries to extract a tip for very little effort on his part - I tipped the Viet women in the Mekong Delta very well for manually paddling for several hours, a very hard way to make a living - but this guy just pulled the starter cord and steered with his foot.

Yes it is interesting to see a floating basketball court, church, environment centre etc. but I thought it was a rip-off.

Travel well

Marian

#3 Posted: 16/2/2007 - 07:54

• Roving_Roo

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2006

I can't comment on the rest of your trip, but I do have a few suggestions for your Siem Reap days; I doubt that you will take a whole day to see Angkor Wat, much less half a day to see Angkor Thom; there are lots of other temples to see in the same area which would be a shame to miss; the Bayon, Ta Prom and my favoruite Neak Pean (on the grand circuit). Also as the tickets are sold in one, three and seven days you would be wasting a whole day using your itinerary and eitehr buying two one day tickets at $20 each, or one three day pass at $40 and only using two days. I think you should allocate three whole days to seeing the temples and take time out of this if you feel you have seen enough.

The Ton Le Sap boat ride will not take a whole day; as per marianwarren's post and I would second her recommendation not to go there; Kompong Phluk (stilted village) is much nicer, although as it is not a ticket only affair will work out slightly more expensive; tuk tuk/moto out past the Rolous group (this could be done on one of your temple days if you wanted) and then a moto to the boats (the water level drops so that the "Road" is what is under water half of the time so this is not doable on a tuk tuk) and then negotiate the boat yourselves. Prvious prices for the boats are around $20-$25 (quite large boats for about 4/6 people). The stilted village is branding itself as a tourist attraction but it is still fairly peaceful and I've not heard anyhting but good comments from those that go there.

Other things to see in Siem Reap; Silk Farm, War Museum, Landmine Museum, Psar Chas, Grand Hotel's Happy hour (4.30-9.00pm daily-half price cocktails in the Elephant bar!!)

Also isn't the Floating Market in Bangkok about 1.5hrs drive from Bangkok; your single day in Bangkok seems jam packed comapred to the Siem Reap days.

#4 Posted: 17/2/2007 - 20:49

• akhut

Joined Travelfish
    1st November, 2006

thanks for all the advice! we've made multiple changes to our itinerary since i've posted thanks to all the comments. one of them IS to remove the floating market in bangkok.. i guess i hadn't realized how far away it is from bangkok!

where is the silk farm in siemreap? i would love to visit there! and i will definitely take your advice on the temple tours!! :)

#5 Posted: 18/2/2007 - 02:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
3 weeks in Thailand/Cambodia - advice on draft itinerary please... ... By slordan on 24 Aug 2009 18 5136 6 Oct 2009
Feedback on Itinerary - Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand! ... By wanderlust2010 on 14 Apr 2010 2 3411 16 Apr 2010
itinerary feedback needed-Burma, Indonesia, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia (and more!) ... By fernwood on 5 Sep 2013 4 1326 7 Sep 2013
Thailand Itinerary: Jan - Feb 2012 - Advice & Feedback please! ... By kevtasker07 on 8 Jul 2011 1 2325 8 Jul 2011
rough itinerary ... By ricardo4 on 27 Sep 2013 6 1351 30 Sep 2013
SE Asia rough itinerary ... By aimbat19 on 28 Sep 2010 6 2497 26 Oct 2010
1 month rough itinerary, what am I missing? ... By whardy on 10 Feb 2012 3 1486 11 Feb 2012