Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Bokor hill station road complete!

Posted by think87 on 13/11/2011 at 00:22

Just got back from a tour of Bokor hill yesterday and I can say for sure the road is complete. Our van went from the bottom to the top on a new concrete road and no walking or trekking at all. Also a couple from the guesthouse met me up there and they went on there own on rented motos and also had no problem bottom to top. The only sirt we encountered was going to the waterfall but that is in process of being paved as well.

There is construction everywhere going up the hill with a large set of resorts about 3/4 up and supermarkets near the waterfall. Also the old bokor hotel building is covered in scaffolding and in the process of being turned into a museum. no entry is allowed.

all that said I had a great time. Clear skies and the views from the buildings were so of the most amazing i have ever seen. Check the weather before you go! a couple who went the day before hated it as cloud cover came all the way to the buildings the whole two hours there and saw half the buildings and no views.

Id say get there now because theres no less than 20 large construction projects going on but for now the sites themselves are OK. From the looks of it 5 years from now bokor will indeed ironically be once again a playground for the rich.

blog post with all the pictures here: http://www.backpacking-on-minimum-wage.com/1/post/2011/11/kampot-days-1-2.html?

hope this update helps

#1 think87 has been a member since 5/3/2009. Location: United States. Posts: 116
 Website 

Posted by whardy on 23/11/2011 at 00:44

Thank you for the info! When I was last there, rangers were blocking the road unless you paid $20 for a "private tour". Would love to go back again, my roommie just got back and said it was glorious. Nice blog too :)

#2 whardy has been a member since 14/11/2011. Posts: 66

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.