Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Christmas in Cambodia

Posted by Lostbeachbum on 14/11/2011 at 11:17

Hey everyone,

I am rearranging some of my travel plans do to the flooding in Thailand and now I'm thinking about spending Christmas/NYE in Cambodia. I arrive in BKK Dec 6 and plan on staying a night or 2 before flying to PP where I will buy or rent a bike and start exploring. Can anyone suggest some good spots that would be laid back but still have some other travelers? I've just spent the last 2 months with nothing but locals in the Caribbean and it would be cool to spend Christmas with a few Westerners. I also would like to spend it on the beach or at least near the coast. I'm used to spending Christmas in big cities like NYC, DC and Philliy so no urban areas please.

I like what I read about Sihanoukville, Kampot and Kep, also the islands of Koh Rong and Koh Ta Kiev. Can anyone comment on their Christmas vibe? Since it's Christmas should I make reservations soon or can I just show up as usual? Thanks!

#1 Lostbeachbum has been a member since 9/9/2011. Location: United States. Posts: 40

Posted by magella82 on 14/11/2011 at 23:44

Kampot should be a pretty exciting place to be over Christmas/New Years - especially Bodhi Villa -according to their facebook page there's a little festival type thing happening there at that time of year called Bodhifest

#2 magella82 has been a member since 5/12/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by Lostbeachbum on 30/11/2011 at 00:39

Thanks for the tip Megella. I'm still not sure where I'm going to end up. All I have right now is a one way to Bangkok and I leave in a few days. Should be an interesting first few days in SE Asia...

#3 Lostbeachbum has been a member since 9/9/2011. Location: United States. Posts: 40

Posted by peekel on 13/12/2011 at 17:22

how about seim reap and phonm phen during new years, anything exciting youknow of happening there magella? My cousinand I are also thinking of spending New Years there.

#4 peekel has been a member since 11/12/2011. Posts: 9

Posted by KirstyB on 13/12/2011 at 21:13

There will be plenty of partying going on in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh, but for travellers particularly Siem Reap where you can expect Pub Street to be packed to the rafters with a full on street party.

#5 KirstyB has been a member since 27/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 151
 Where has KirstyB been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by chinarocks on 14/12/2011 at 10:01

Would second Magella82's comment re Bodhi Villa in Kampot. Would say it would be a cool place to spend Xmas.

Lots of partying, Westerners and great food.

#6 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 740

Posted by Lostbeachbum on 15/12/2011 at 21:35

I'm in Siem Reap now and talking to a few of the bar owners, it seems they're gearing up for a huge party. I'm heading to PP to buy my bike then riding to the coast.

#7 Lostbeachbum has been a member since 9/9/2011. Location: United States. Posts: 40

Posted by peekel on 16/12/2011 at 07:14

Looks like we are in for a great New Years. Excited! So Lostbeachbum, you heading back to Siem for New Years? By the way, any recommended hotels near the party scene?

#8 peekel has been a member since 11/12/2011. Posts: 9

Posted by Lostbeachbum on 20/12/2011 at 04:19

Hey peekel, I can't speak for any hotel near the "party scene". Which is basically just a few bars on pub street. The party is a $1 tuk tuk from anywhere in the city. I didn't care to much for Siem Reap, too many tourists, beggars, hustlers, meth addicts and pedophiles. Got to knock one out and that was the highlight of the city for me. I stayed at 2 Dragons which I very highly recommend. Phnom Penh is wonderful away from the riverside. I'm stuck here for at least the next 3 nights while my bike is being serviced so might be spending Christmas here as well. Hopefully I'll be able to make to Kampot by the 24th but who knows... I'm staying at Smiley's hotel near the Genocide museum which is by far the best value I've found in SE Asia, $15 a night. Don't be put off my opinion of Siem Reap, for a backpacker who just wants to party, it would be a cool place for NYE.

#9 Lostbeachbum has been a member since 9/9/2011. Location: United States. Posts: 40

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.