Laos - Sihankounville Getting Around Advice, Please!!
27th October, 2011
Hi Travelfish Mates!
I'll be arriving in Cambodia from Laos and flying home from Siem Reap on December 29. I want to fit in Ankor Wat (3 or 4 days), Phnom Penh (2 days) and Sihanoukville (4 days).
1) Does it make more sense to fly into SR, see Ankhor Wat, take bus to PP, then immediately take bus to Sihanoukville and backtrack through PP for 2 days then onto SR? I ask because I understand there are interesting places to stop along the way. How long is each leg of the bus trip? Is it possible, faster (and how much) to hire a taxi part of the way?
2) Does it make better sense to fly Laos to PP, bus straight to Sihanoukville, bus back to PP stopping there for 2 days, and then bus to SR to stay 4 days? Are overnight buses involved?
3) What city in Laos is the best place to get flights into either PP or SR?
4) Which airlines fly to those destinations and approximate costs?
5) Since it's such a busy time of year, would it be worthwhile to buy Discovery Pass Coupons over here and take my chances on availability to save money?
It's 3:00 a.m. here, I'm all confused by too much information not very well laid out in guidebooks, so if my questions sound convoluted, I apologize. Any and all input and advice would be truly appreciated!
Thanks so much.
#1 Posted: 20/11/2011 - 02:33
12th October, 2011
Location United Kingdom
Shame you haven't got longer in Cambodia, it's a great place. I would say that you should fly into PP and go straight to Sihanoukville to get one long stint of travelling out of the way in one go. The bus is a good few hours back to PP but if you leave in the morning you'll be able to do something in the afternoon. Then bus back to Siem Reap.
You can fly from Luang Prabang to PP but with a stop off in Vientiane , or direct from Vientiane depending on where you are when you are leaving.. Lao Airlines cheapest probably.
Hope you enjoy
#2 Posted: 30/11/2011 - 16:11
Add your reply
You need to be logged in to add a reply.
Not a member? you can join here.