Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

PP to Kampot

• giroffle

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2011

Hi

Is it possible to get a bus or taxi from PP to Kampot town...in Kampot province...is it possible to do a day trip....what is the journey time....is there anywhere closer I can go in the Province...to get pepper and maybe get a glimpse of the pepper plantations

Carmel

#1 Posted: 21/11/2011 - 01:09

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

You will easily get a bus to Kampot from PP - just ask some of the travel agents or at your guesthouse. I think it took between 4 and 5 hours and cost $4.50 2 years ago. Kampot is a nice riverside town - a great place to chill for a few days.

#2 Posted: 21/11/2011 - 02:15

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Would secong all of BL's comments.

Think I took the bus from PP to Kampot at about 1 p.m. I would recommend going all the way to Kampot and not settling for somewhere closer to PP, it is only 3 hours after all!!

Consider hiring a motorbike for a few days and zipping over to Kep for seafood lunch and around to the caves and pepper plantations also.

Really ace spot is Kampot. Enjoy.

#3 Posted: 21/11/2011 - 02:48

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I agree with all of the above but I got the impression that OP was considering visiting Kampot as a day trip just to visit a pepper farm and that wouldn't be so wise. Yes, it can be done if you take the first bus at 7 am (arrive around 11am in Kep ) get a tuk tuk, visit a pepper farm and go back on the last bus at 1 or 2 pm.

In all honesty that isn't worth it. A pepper farm may be interesting but you're literally looking at plants growing. Guides, farmers or tuk tuk drivers hardly have anything exciting to tell about the pepper. I'd say, safe yourself the trip and money and buy the pepper at a PP market or souvenir shop.

And for your information: The best Kampot pepper comes from around Kep. It's called Kampot pepper because Kep used to be part of Kampot province and the pepper was named after the province and not after the town.

#4 Posted: 21/11/2011 - 05:01

• whardy

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2011

Why not spend the night in Kampot? It's a lovely town, very chill. No need to rush through it, take your jacket off and stay awhile :)

#5 Posted: 23/11/2011 - 00:45

• giroffle

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2011

Hello again...many thanks for your replies....we are currently in Laos but are considering changing the plan a little here...which means we may have a few extra days in Cambodia (we enter via Stung Treng...next week)...I think we will stop over in Kampot for a couple of days...you are right eastwest...I was going to squeeze it in, in a day...but not worth it..so at least a night or two...that way we can visit Kep too.

Thanks again
    Carmel

#6 Posted: 23/11/2011 - 01:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.