Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Best place to eat in Phnom Penh for less then 3$

• airyk

Joined Travelfish
    11th June, 2010

Hey if you know of any great restaurants for under 3$ for a meal post them here. Here is my post! Also sorry for the lack of spacing, travelfish is doing that, not me.

I’m a guy who doesn’t like to spenda lot of money. I’ve been living in Asia for about 2 years and before that Ilived in other places where food is never expensive. In Cambodia, for most ofmy meals I spend $ 1. Usually that gets me a tasty soup, fried noodles, friedrice, a big plate of spring rolls, or steamed rice with a big serving ofvegetables and some sauces. But sometimes I splurge, I will go and spend $2.00or $2.50 on a veggie burger (I don’t eat meat) or in the past I would go to anIndian restaurant and pay about 5$ for a meal. I love Indian food but $5 isjust too much and I just can’t part with my money so easily.
    Now my life has changed! Onlakeside an area called “Bong Kok” there is the best restaurant I’ve ever beento. It’s called the North South Indian restaurant. It isn’t beautiful, nor isit elegant, the food doesn’t come with elephant shaped spoons or other sillythings. But what it is is much better. It is cozy, the owners - Honey and hiswife - are fantastic and the food is wonderful and CHEAP! For 2$, yes you read that correctly, for only2$ you can get a Vegetable Thali which comes with: two delectable vegetabledishes, a serving of mouth watering dhal, garlic naan as big as your face, a crispcool lassi, all the rice you can eat and water you can drink and if you stillhave room in your stomach, they will bring out a green salad. All of that foodis just $2 and after it you are stuffed with super tasty food! If you’re notlooking to get as stuffed for 2$ as I do, then no worries, North South Indianhas a big menu with lots of meals for $1 or $2.
    I do a lot, and I mean a lot, ofhosting on couchsurfing.com and I always take my surfers to North South Indian.I’ve taken over 100 there and not a single one didn’t find that it was one ofthe best restaurants for price and quality they had visited on their trip. Manylike it so much that they regularly go without me. I like it so much that not only did I writeabout how great it is but it is also one of my hangout spots. I go there formeals or even just to chill out and spend time reading a book or typing whileeating fantastic Indian food that won’t drain my wallet.

#1 Posted: 4/12/2011 - 21:53

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Accomodation in Phnom Penh near the place where the boat for Siem Reap leaves??? ... By sprengja on 21 Nov 2007 2 2340 25 Nov 2007
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 401 2 Mar 2014