Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Beaches / Islands - Cambodia

• hacketta

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

I have 10 days to explore the beaches / islands of Cambodia.. finishing a tour in Siem Reap on 24th Dec where should I head...

I am travelling solo so need somewhere where I will meet people etc.. as will get bored with my own company after a bit!
    I am looking for a some definite beach time and sunshine!!

I need to be back in Bangkok for 2nd Jan AM

#1 Posted: 7/12/2011 - 08:46

• Advertisement

• jringsak

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2011

You could start in Kampot / Kep , then head to Sihanoukville (the most beaches & islands in one location), and/or on to Koh Kong . You would definitely meet people in Kampot or Sihanoukville. Both are fairly bustling and have prominent expat communities.

Kampot and Kep are more on the relaxed side, while Sihanoukville has a bit more of an urban/busy tourist feel, and Koh Kong can be very quiet. From most all of the coastal towns, some islands are accessible. Most of the islands tend to be very quiet, so bring a good book. And guesthouse or tour company can provide you with details once you are down in the coastal area.

You will want to keep in mind that it is a fairly long haul from the coast back up to Siem Reap, so you might want to plan for a day or two to stop over in Phnom Penh on your way back north.

Cheers, and enjoy your trip!

#2 Posted: 7/12/2011 - 23:47

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

Here's some good links on the islands around Cambodia and accomodations on them.

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/220

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/225

Also....
    Flights will soon be available (after Dec 15th) between Sihanoukville and Siem Reap. this can save you 10 a ten hour bus trip.The flights are available with Cambodia Angkor Air and can be bought through Cambodia travel agents who are advertising and selling them now.those flights only go out 3 days a weekk however, so check the airlines website if intrested.

Have a great trip!

#3 Posted: 9/12/2011 - 18:03

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/220

#4 Posted: 9/12/2011 - 18:04

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I'm thinking of heading to Monkey Island, I've read some bad comments about Rabbit island...

#5 Posted: 9/12/2011 - 20:21

• jringsak

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2011

@ altmtl
    Rabbit Island is fine if you are looking for peace and quiet. Aside from the few bungalows and 2 decent beaches, there is not a lot there.

#6 Posted: 10/12/2011 - 05:38

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Where is the Philippines?

jringsak, I saw a few comments mention "grey, dirty beaches, dirty water." with the islands near Sihanoukville being much better.

#7 Posted: 10/12/2011 - 12:31

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

#8 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 17:08

• lmacka

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2011

Try Koh Ta Kiev. It's a military controlled island with almost nothing on it. Absolutely no development (yet) and has what I believe to be the two best beaches in Cambodia on its southern coast.

I say they're the best beaches because they're big, wide and have nothing but jungle behind them. I'm the only boat operator that goes to them, and I've been living on the island with the Navy for the last year.

#9 Posted: 14/1/2012 - 21:00

• mrdome

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

"Beaches and island in Cambodia. I never heard of it."

Excellent! And may it stay like this for many more years. Not because I'm selfish but because big money will not improve these places. And once it's full of "eco resorts" with private beaches with a golf course & airport hacked into the jungle (yes, very "eco" that) most people won't even be able to visit anymore.

Isn't it a bit rude to attempt to hijack a thread like this? If the OP had wanted to know about beaches in the Philippines, they would have asked precisely that question, no?

#10 Posted: 14/1/2012 - 23:16

• Advertisement

• KatMachine

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2011

When I went to Cambodia, I only visited Otres Beach in Sihanoukville. It's a beautiful place in my opinion, it's less touristy and quiet at night. The sands are fine and the water is clear. It's affordable there as well.
    To give you an insight about it, you can check my link for my blogpost about Otres Beach:
    Edit: snip - please no blog drops like this

#11 Posted: 16/1/2012 - 18:07

• jringsak

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2011

@altmtl

This might be a bit late now, but for any future potential Rabbit Island (aka Koh Tonsai) explorers, "dirty" is not quite an accurate description. The water is more cloudy than some of the famous beaches/snorkeling spots in Thailand, but it's not dirty in the sense of polluted or littered. And the beaches are fine, albeit not too large. It's a good place to go if you're looking for peace and quiet and getting away from it all. If you're looking for a more active beach, the Sihanoukville area is probably a better option.

There are a few other nice, very unspoiled beaches (you're likely to only encounter a couple of locals selling local food/beverages) in the Kep/ Kampot area, but they are not well known and require navigating some typically-Cambodia dirt roads of varying quality. Travelers interested in exploring those beaches are best served by talking to a local tour guide in Kampot or Kep, or tracking down one of the more experienced local expats.

re: KatMachine's comment, Otres Beach in Sihanoukville used to be very nice- relatively quiet with only about a dozen tourist-oriented bar/restaurant/guesthouses, all very small. I know that several have had to close over the past year or two to make way for future development. I haven't visited the area in about a year, so I'm not sure of the current status, but it is definitely worth checking out. It is a bit tricky to get to Otres. The options are 1) a long, relatively expensive ($5 and up) tuk-tuk ride on a road that circles away from the coast and then comes back, or 2) a bumpy moto ride over the shortcut track that follows along the coast, ending in a steep hill that takes you down to Otres.

And the commenter who said "Beaches and islands in Cambodia. I never heard of it." is displaying a remarkable lack of knowledge. There are plenty of beaches and islands in Cambodia- it has a good sized coastline along the Gulf of Thailand. Check any map. With the exception of Sihanoukville, the Cambodian coast also tends to be much more relaxed/less developed than most parts of Thailand, if that is what you are looking for.

#12 Posted: 22/1/2012 - 22:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
4000 Islands, Beaches in Cambodia, or Beaches in Vietnam? ... By ekumbier on 26 Apr 2012 3 2887 11 May 2012
Beaches and Islands off Cambodia?? ... By OceanGazer on 6 Aug 2012 13 4519 5 Mar 2013
Islands/Beaches in Cambodia ... By ybg on 17 Apr 2013 2 1844 13 May 2013
Cambodia's best beaches/islands? ... By Thewatersedge on 5 Nov 2009 2 3131 5 Nov 2009
Best Beaches / Islands - Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam ... By Jenniferious on 9 May 2009 1 17339 10 May 2009