Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Mekongvietnam.com

• LR9788

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2011

My wife and I will be traveling to Cambodia and then onto Vietnam in mid-Feb. I have been looking for options to get from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh. The website mekongvietnam.com has some interesting tour options that we would love to use but before making any plans wanted to check if anyone has used this site.

#1 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 04:49

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I can't help you with that particular website - however, there really isn't any need to pre-book a tour to get from SR-PP-HCMC.

Once in SR, you can very easily book a bus to PP - there are lots of travel agencies around that can do this for you, or even ask at your guesthouse/hotel. A VIP bus will cost about USD$7-8. It takes about 6 hours all up, with a stop along the way where you can grab a bite to eat.

Likewise, once in PP you can organise a bus or boat/bus combo to HCMC.

If you have the time, I'd suggest getting the boat from PP to Chau Doc and stay a night. The boat is a nice boat (like a floating bus) and will take about 6 hours, including time to stop at immigration. (Make sure you get your Vietnam visa ahead of time).

In Chau Doc, you can get a mini-bus to Can Tho - stay there for a couple of nights and check out the floating markets, etc. And from there, organise a bus to HCMC.

If you do prefer to have things organised for you, and unless you hear some first hand positive comments about the website you query, I would recommend that you wait until you get there before booking anything. That way you can talk to other travellers in the area about their recommendations, and get a handle on the 'vibe' of the office when you go in to book. I'd be reluctant to part with my money online to any company in Cambodia or Vietnam without personally checking them out first.

If you still want to proceed with the website you mention, try to wriggle out of paying up front. I did this with a Halong Bay cruise that I took by booking it online a week or so before arriving, and explained that I would come in to the office as soon as I arrived in Hanoi to pay the deposit personally. They accepted that, took my booking and everything worked out fine. Not everyone will let you get away with that of course, but it's worth a try!

#2 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 13:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.