Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

How to get the best out of 21 nights

• John67

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2009

Hi,

I'm just about to start trawling through all the threads but what I'd like is a little advice on how to get the best out of 21 nights solotarvel in Cambodia in Feb 2012.

I arrive mid morning in in Phnom Penh so perhaps this will be enough to explore the city. I'd like to see the killing fields, Siam Reap a little trekking and some beach time. My main concern is not spending too long in one place and taking on too much. It seems there cld be a lot of back tracking to get around.

Anway any suggestions ?

Thanks

John

#1 Posted: 17/12/2011 - 07:11

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

A little backtracking is unavoidable but it won't really spoil your time.

You can roughly do something like this:

Spend 9 days in the north and make a loop around Tonle Sap lake. Go up to Siem Reap via eastern side in 1 day on the bus, spend a few days in Siem Reap, go back to PP via western side and spend a few days in Battambang .

Other 9 days you can make a loop in the south. Start with Sihanoukville and an island for a few days, then move to Kep/Kampot for another couple of days. From there back to PP. Or the other way around of course.

The other days can be spend in PP spread out over 3 visits.

If you want something more off the beaten track you can skip Battambang and go for a few days to Mondulkiri or Rattanakiri if you prefer more nature.

#2 Posted: 18/12/2011 - 01:36

• beatgirl98

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2010

That's pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Factor in a day's travel between the big towns - or get night buses if you really want to save on time!

You could trek in Koh Kong - I didn't go there but I get the impression it's a bit less visited than Mondulkiri/ Rattanakiri (both of which are really nice) and it's accessible via Sihanoukville - where the beaches are.

#3 Posted: 18/12/2011 - 16:13

• John67

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2009

Thanks for the replies. I will concentrate my research around these rough plans which I think will give me what I'm looking for.

Thanks again

John

#4 Posted: 19/12/2011 - 04:44

• Synak

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

21days luck you! What a wonderful country.

I have just come back from an amazing trip in Cambodia with my girlfriend. We spent the last three weeks exploring so much of the country, we are independent travelers but this time we wanted to treat ourselves.

After our trip I would suggest splitting your time in 3, spending a week in Siem Reap exploring the temples, a week on the coast relaxing in Kep and Rabbit Island and then a little bit of a party in Sihanoukville.

Then if you feel a little adventurous then go to Mondulkiri, elephant trekking,stopping off at Kratie to see the fabulous Irrawaddy Dolphins then back to Phnom Penh before flying home.

We had such an adventure but if you're planning this on your own then there is no chance of seeing all of this and I would definitely recommend getting in touch with the company we traveled with 'See Cambodia Differently'.

#5 Posted: 20/12/2011 - 20:43

• inspiredbyk-
    rissi

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2011

Keep your eyes open and peeled for opportunity, learn some basic Khmer and if you want a real experience try and head eastwards.

PS Eat some bugs too :)

#6 Posted: 21/12/2011 - 00:03

• John67

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2009

Hi again,
    This is the first draft so thoughts please
    Day 1 & 2 Arrive am in PP so sightseeing and Killing fields next day.
    Day 3, 4, 5 & 6 Travel to S.R temples for 2 days and lake.
    Day 7 back to PP
    Day 8, 9 & 10 Travel to Mondulkiri,2 day trek can I arrange this on the day I arrive there?

Day 11 back to PP

Day 12 – 18 in no particular order, Kep, Kampot Sihanoukville & islands to have some fun!

Day 20 back to PP

Day 21 Up early and flights home

I did want to do some trekking but I’m not so sure two days of travel merit the trip to Mondulkiri but opinions please? I don’t want to lug my hiking boots around for 3 weeks just for a couple of days trekking but what are the conditions like in Feb?

Does it take all day to travel between PP and S.R & PP & Mondulkiri? Sihanoukville etc. and can travel be easily arranged on the hoof. Thanks John

#7 Posted: 13/1/2012 - 13:35

• lmacka

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2011

PP to SR is 5 or 6 hours by bus. PP to SHV is around 4 hours. One of the best ways to travel is the night bus that goes between SR and SHV. Leaves around 8:30pm and arrives at its destination just after 6am - very handy because you don't lose a day (although you'll want to have a chilled day after the trip!).

When you're in Sihanoukville, come check out the islands. Don't make the same mistake as many other travellers though and go to Bamboo island - it's pretty terrible these days.

See link below for trips to Koh Ta Kiev, a much nicer island!

#8 Posted: 14/1/2012 - 19:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.