Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

train from Bangkok to Siem Reap?

• benjack

Joined Travelfish
    27th February, 2007

I've been trying to find a relatively hassle-free process to get from bangkok to siem reap. I found a really good site for traveling by car/bus, but they vaguely mentioned a train. Does anyone have more information about this train? I remember reading that it leaves at kind of inconvenient times (5 am and 7 pm or something), but that's fine.

Has anyone taken this train? Do you still have problems with crossing the border? (i'm planning on getting my visa at the embassy in Bangkok, instead of at the border).

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 27/2/2007 - 20:31

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi benjack,

This story covers the Bangkok to Siem Reap routethat route blow by blow.

You can catch a train for the Thai portion but not the Cambodian part.

#2 Posted: 27/2/2007 - 23:34

• calypso218

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2007

Hi somtam2000,

Can you advise for the reverse trip: Siem Reap to Bangkok?

Thanks!

#3 Posted: 2/3/2007 - 15:59

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Calypso,

Ummm can you can the above-mentioned story backwards! ;-)

It's really just the same steps in reverse, so please give the story a read and come back to me with any specific questions about doing it in the other direction and I'll answer as best I can.

#4 Posted: 2/3/2007 - 17:43

• Kristi

Joined Travelfish
    4th September, 2006

Calypso,

Avoid the train at all costs, it's a nightmare. You're accommodation will organise a taxi for you at USD $12 per person. This will take you the border, far better than the bus. From Poipet, jump across the border on a tuk tuk and then off to Bangers by bus. Very easy and quite simple. If you're travelling on your own, you may need to round up a crew for the cab. Easiest option would be to go down to the bus stop, bus tickets are USD $10 so I am sure people would be happy to share a cab with you for a few extra dollars. Have fun!

#5 Posted: 13/3/2007 - 18:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Siam Reap - Bangkok by Train ... By charfang7861 on 12 Jan 2009 2 3602 13 Jan 2009
Trip advice - Bangkok - Siem Reap - Ko Mak - Bangkok ... By JessandScott on 13 Jan 2009 13 5213 28 Jun 2010
Battambang to Bangkok or Siem Reap to Bangkok ... By tinoh on 19 Feb 2010 4 7411 17 Sep 2010