Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

ATMS in PHNOM PENH - debit cards

• supsash

Joined Travelfish
    27th February, 2007

Hello,
    Can anyone confirm whether there are many ATMS in Cambodia specifically in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Battambang, Sihnaksville.
    I would like to take cash out (cambodia riel or dollars) and if I can't do this with a debit card i will need to bring lots of Baht with me to change when I get there.
    Can you also confirm if Thai Baht is accepted in Cambodia as i probably will not be able to change this until I reach Phnom Penh my first destination.

The info on the FAQ's is a bit conflicting - saying plans are to open one and the suggestion for bring money section says there aren't any.

Please confirm,

thanks,
    Sash

#1 Posted: 27/2/2007 - 22:02

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Sash,

Yes, there are international access ATMs in both Phnom Penh and Siem reap, though I'm not sure about Sanookyville nor Battambang.

Thanks for the heads-up on the FAQ, will correct that tomorrow.

Thai baht is accepted in major centres, though US dollars are more widely accepted.

#2 Posted: 27/2/2007 - 23:32

• supsash

Joined Travelfish
    27th February, 2007

Thanks - can you just clarify that these cash machines are for debit cards and not just credit cards.
    thank you kindly,
    Sash

#3 Posted: 28/2/2007 - 19:42

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That I don't know -- sorry.

They're all belonging to ANZ Royal -- you may be able to find the answer on their website: http://www.anzroyal.com/.

#4 Posted: 28/2/2007 - 20:46

• mooshcat

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2007

Visa is the preferred card in Cambo. If your debit card uses visa you'll have no problem. MC is also accepted but sometimes has a fee attached. You can also take money out using visa or mc at many banks. There aren't that many ATMs in PP. I can remember 3 ANZ atms. Easiest place to change money is on the riverfront. There's an ANZ atms plus branches of some of the other banks. Easiest thing to do is ask a moto for the FCC look at the river and turn left - you'll see them within 100 meters.

ATM and banks give out US dollars. Cambodia only uses paper currency so think of the local currency (riel) as the coins. You get roughly 4,000 to the dollar. Use them for small costs and for change from dollars.

#5 Posted: 28/2/2007 - 23:40

• TonyL

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2006

Just back from Cambodia. No problems at all with debit cards at any of the ANZ Royal Bank ATM booths in PP,SR, and Sihanoukville so long as your card is OK on the Cirrus or Maestro system.

ANZ has one office in Sihanoukville which is easy to find, plus a number in PP and SR. The ATMs are located in off street booths with security guards outside and, I think, are open 24 hrs / day. They allow you to use English and dispense either riel or $US - you state which. Maximum withdrawal is $2000US as the machines can only cope with a total of 40 notes.

I used a debit card without any problems at all so dont worry. Cant help with Battenbang as I did not visit there.

#6 Posted: 3/3/2007 - 13:03

• lucyhudson

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2006

I am from the UK and have a maestro Debit card and in both Phnom Penh and Siem Reap I couldn't get cash out with my debit card and neither could my husband who also has maestro so had to use my credit card...but it looks like other people who have maestro cards didn't have a problem so it may have been our bank? Anyway there are plenty of cash machines so you certainly won't have a problem in that respect...

#7 Posted: 6/3/2007 - 00:00

• TonyL

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2006

Only ANZ Royal Bank ATM's will accept Maestro and Cirrus debit cards. One further problem could be the number of digits in your pin number. If you have six digits you could possibly encounter problems. I was advised to change my pin number to 4 digits from 6 and had no problem at all. I know that many of the UK banks use a 6 digit pin.

#8 Posted: 6/3/2007 - 07:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Debit cards ... By dazm26 on 8 Feb 2008 3 2649 29 Mar 2008
Canadian debit cards ... By soccermom on 30 Sep 2006 1 1757 30 Sep 2006
Cash, Cards & ATMs ... By Bigianws on 22 Feb 2014 4 1369 22 Feb 2014
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 1317 2 Mar 2014