Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Virachey or Cardamom?

Posted by alljokingaside on 30/12/2011 at 07:35

I've heard mixed/differing reports on the Virachey trek and little information, besides ads and subjective reports on self-made treks (something I'm not exactly opposed to, mind you) on the Cardamom Mt. treks. Which is "better"?

I was initially planning on exiting Vietnam through the O'Yadaw and heading straight to Ban Lung, but from the hassle ($50 taxi ride after 10 am) and mixed reviews of the actual trek, I'm considering going to the Cardamom Mts. What's your experience hiking/trekking around those parts? This might also suit me better, given that I'd like some quality time spent on the beaches and I've limited time (must head to Siem Reap sometime near the end of Jan to meet a friend, then on to Bangkok for my flight out).

Any advice or comments are appreciated. Thanks

#1 alljokingaside has been a member since 20/12/2011. Posts: 18

Posted by eastwest on 30/12/2011 at 20:26

I don't think trekking in the Cardamoms has really developed yet. I haven't done it but I live in Cambodia and heard very little about it. There are some (eco) tours and such but as far as I know nothing for the "hardcore" trekker.

As for creating your own trek I would advise you to be very careful. Pretty sure that there are still mines in that area.

#2 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by gregmccann1 on 2/1/2012 at 04:16

I am going to offer you my extremely subjective opinion (based on 2 big treks there) and suggest Virachey. Check out my blogs:
http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/Cambodia/East/Banlung/blog-473629.html

http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/Cambodia/East/Banlung/blog-564843.html

And this could very well be the last year that treks go out to the grasslands, or perhaps anywhere in the park, as the Cambodian government is basically in "liquidation mode" in terms of its natural assets. See Virachey now, it will be gone very, very soon. Such as shame.

#3 gregmccann1 has been a member since 28/10/2009. Location: Taiwan. Posts: 183
 Website 

Posted by Rasheeed on 2/1/2012 at 19:20

The border crossing isn't that bad. I still suggest you get to the border as early as possible (I think you're referring to something I wrote with the 10am thing), but last time I did it (a week ago), I got to the border about noon but still found a ride to Banlung (an interesting ride) for USD5.

#4 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.