Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Virachey or Cardamom?

• alljokingas-
    ide

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

I've heard mixed/differing reports on the Virachey trek and little information, besides ads and subjective reports on self-made treks (something I'm not exactly opposed to, mind you) on the Cardamom Mt. treks. Which is "better"?

I was initially planning on exiting Vietnam through the O'Yadaw and heading straight to Ban Lung, but from the hassle ($50 taxi ride after 10 am) and mixed reviews of the actual trek, I'm considering going to the Cardamom Mts. What's your experience hiking/trekking around those parts? This might also suit me better, given that I'd like some quality time spent on the beaches and I've limited time (must head to Siem Reap sometime near the end of Jan to meet a friend, then on to Bangkok for my flight out).

Any advice or comments are appreciated. Thanks

#1 Posted: 30/12/2011 - 07:35

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I don't think trekking in the Cardamoms has really developed yet. I haven't done it but I live in Cambodia and heard very little about it. There are some (eco) tours and such but as far as I know nothing for the "hardcore" trekker.

As for creating your own trek I would advise you to be very careful. Pretty sure that there are still mines in that area.

#2 Posted: 30/12/2011 - 20:26

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan
    Total reviews: 5

I am going to offer you my extremely subjective opinion (based on 2 big treks there) and suggest Virachey. Check out my blogs:
    http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/Cambodia/East/Banlung/blog-473629.html

http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/Cambodia/East/Banlung/blog-564843.html

And this could very well be the last year that treks go out to the grasslands, or perhaps anywhere in the park, as the Cambodian government is basically in "liquidation mode" in terms of its natural assets. See Virachey now, it will be gone very, very soon. Such as shame.

#3 Posted: 2/1/2012 - 04:16

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

The border crossing isn't that bad. I still suggest you get to the border as early as possible (I think you're referring to something I wrote with the 10am thing), but last time I did it (a week ago), I got to the border about noon but still found a ride to Banlung (an interesting ride) for USD5.

#4 Posted: 2/1/2012 - 19:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.