Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Best islands (less touristy) in Cambodia

• jenny_v

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2011

Hello and Happy New Year,

I was hoping I can get some advice on islands in Cambodia. :)

I am going to Koh Tonsay and Koh thmei but would also like to go to:

1) The islands outside off SV

Looking for a relaxing place with less people, where I can enjoy the beaches and nature. Maybe do snorkeling (I can't dive). Considering Koh Rung or Koh Rong Saloem, any other suggestions? What would you recommend? Is there any accomodation on Koh Tang and Koh Prins?

2) The islands outside of Boutom Sakor NP

Was considering Ko Totang but they are fully booked. Is Koh Sdach nice or do any of the other islands have accommodation?

(I already read the feature stories, forum posts on TF so any newer informatio0n is greatly appreciated).

Thank you very much in advance!!!

Best,

Jenny

#1 Posted: 2/1/2012 - 22:31

• Advertisement

• lmacka

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2011

Hey Jenny

Koh Tang and Koh Prins are a long way off shore and require almost a day to get to on a boat. Koh Rong is huge, but most of the guest houses are on top of each other. The area where they are isn't that great.
    Koh Rong Samloem is also very big and has a couple of nice places on it - I'd recommend that of the two.

Bamboo island isn't worth the effort - dirty, unmaintained and the owner of the guesthouse there got kicked off his own island for various shenanigans. Also, the vast majority of tourist longtails go there so it's not uncommon to see a couple of hundred people sitting on the little beach looking at the other islands trying to work out how to get there!

Koh Ta Kiev is near Bamboo island, and is home to the Cambodian naval fleet. It's a military controlled island and only has a bunch of soldiers and one little fishing village on it. I've become pretty chummy with the navy guys so they let me set up a camp site on the island. I also do day trips and night fishing excursions. Check it out - there's a link in my signature.

Hope this helps!

#2 Posted: 14/1/2012 - 20:42

• giblet

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2010

Did Koh Ru get kicked off Bamboo island?

#3 Posted: 16/1/2012 - 12:43

• lmacka

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2011

No, Ru got kicked out of his guest house (Koh Ru). But that was a while back now.

#4 Posted: 16/1/2012 - 19:43

• giblet

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2010

Ru hasn't been kicked off the island as you said in your original post. I understand that you want to promote your business and your friend on Koh Ta Kiev's business, but the way to do it is not to spread misinformation all over the internet about these islands. Please stop slagging other businesses and other beaches -- you're hardly impartial.

#5 Posted: 16/1/2012 - 22:37

• lmacka

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2011

Sorry, didn't mean to slag and it seems I've got my facts wrong about Ru. I'm just passing on information I was given recently, should have checked it first. Apologies.

#6 Posted: 16/1/2012 - 22:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Non touristy islands and beaches in Malaysia? ... By Jimwif on 16 Jun 2008 7 13256 23 Jul 2009
More remote, less touristy and more 'Thai' culture in the south western islands ... By jojow25 on 23 Sep 2009 1 3549 23 Sep 2009