Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

How to get from the south of China to Cambodia by land

• Jtatiana

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2012

I am currently in Beijing, and I have a two week break during the first weeks of February. I would like to go to Cambodia and if I can, see some sights around Thailand too..If I get to a city in the south of china how would I get to Cambodia by land?I would like to travel by train, boat, bus, motorcycle, hiking, in order to get the most out of the area, the people and their culture. I am looking for an experience out of the common tourist checklist. Any ideas how I can plan this trip in less than a month? Suggestions?
    Thanks!

#1 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 03:53

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Nanning or Kunming are presumably your best options and then you are looking at a trip down either the length of Laos (if you leave from Kunming) or Vietnam (if you go from Nanning).

May I ask why you want to do this? Are you planning on exploring anywhere other than Cambodia? Your travel time over land from South China to Cambodia (either through Laos or Vietnam) will eat a good chunk of your two weeks and would seem rather pointless.

#2 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 05:37

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I've got to agree with chinarocks here. I've gone overland from Kunming into Laos before and simply getting to Luang Prabang took two nights - though I hear a better road is open now up to the China/Lao border. From Kunming you take an overnight bus to Jinhong. When you arrive in the morning you catch the first bus down to Mengla where you'll have to wait (usually) to transfer to the border (Mohan) - if the new road is open you could probably catch a ride to Mohan direct. Once across the border you may end up only making it as far as Udomxi where you'll spend another night . . . and so on down Laos. This won't give you much time to stop and take in much of Laos, travel is slow and I estimate from Luang Prabang it'd take 3 days to make it down to the border with Cambodia if you stop for just a night in Vientiane-Pakse-4,000 Islands.

Going in from Nanning-Hanoi would . . . well, you get the point. If you really want to see Cambodia than I suggest a flight direct and spend two weeks there. I usually get three weeks off over Spring Festival and after my first overland (I ended up flying back to Kunming to catch my return flight to Nanjing) I've always flown directly into the country I wanted to visit - or in order to save some cash flew into Bangkok to get over to Southern Laos. You could consider a flight to HCMC to get into Cambodia, but then you have the Vietnam visa hassel twice.

#3 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 06:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.