Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

travel advice Cambodia from Laos

• mishka1988

Joined Travelfish
    21st December, 2011

Hi,

I'm leaving the 4000 islands and need a bit of advice from those whove crossed the Cambodian border before..

Is it best to take the route to Penom Penh or to Siam Reip first? I've been hearing death stories about the Siam Siep route as well as LP recommendation to hit Penom Penh first. Lately LP has been leading me astray. What is your take on it?

Also-- I'm looking to fly up to Hanoi from SR or PP-- does a flight like such exist? Which city is best to fly out or where might I look to get schedules/airfare quotes?

Thanks for your help and advice in advance!

#1 Posted: 23/1/2012 - 06:04

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Siem Reap first appears to make more sense logistically.

To get to Hanoi , it may be best for you to cross the Mekong Delta from PP to HCMC (doable by a 6 hour bus journey, arrange your visa in advance). Then you can get a cheap internal flight up to Hanoi from HCMC.

#2 Posted: 23/1/2012 - 08:04

• shobe

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2012

This is probably much to late to be of any use to you, but perhaps it can help other travelers in the future. We read terrible things about traveling from Lao to Siem Reap directly (we went from Pakse through 4000 islands), but we researched and stayed away from the company that we heard stories about and went anyways. Shame on us. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT THE NAME OF THE BUS COMPANY IS- YOU WILL BE SCAMMED. We were told that we would only change buses 1 time, and that we would arrive in Siem Reap around 21:00. We changed 4 times, and were issued new tickets with the name of a new transportation company each time. We only stopped in random areas far away from any choice of where to buy our food, or have access to an ATM. Each leg of the trip there was some smooth english-speaking employee there to ease your mind, and lie to you some more. We ended up getting into Siem Reap 21 hours later, after our bus over heated (maybe it was because they loaded a motorcyle and tons of other crap on there) and we had to sleep in a field for a few hours. When the bus finally dropped us off it wasn't in town, or at the actual bus station, but some random lot with tuk-tuk drivers ready to rip us off. Do your self a favor and don't try to make it. Either fly, or if money is tight just take a bus to Stung Treng and figure it out from there.

#3 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 22:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel route advice please! Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam / Laos ... By IndiaGabrielle on 14 Jun 2013 3 4036 15 Jun 2013
Looking for gluten-free travel advice/tips for Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia ... By ibon on 17 Nov 2009 12 11863 2 Jul 2012