Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Cheap Clothes - Thailand or Cambodia

• PeterW

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2011

Hello. Currently in Bangkok and was thinking of buying clothes here. I've come out with rubbish clothes so I can throw them away without feeling wastefull and get a load of new stuff. However, is it better to buy clothes in Cambodia (I'm flying there on the 28th)? I don't want to spend cash here and find out a 3 day wait could sort me out for half the price. Any info would be great as I've heard from others that Cambodia is far cheaper than Thailand for things like accomodation and cigs.

Currently on the Ko San Road - interesting but I'm alone and can see how trouble can hit you here quickly with no warning. On the flip side my hotel (the Rikka Inn) has a funky roof pool. Ko Lanta cool for the first few days but less chilled than I thought. Hat Yai - DON'T GO THERE!!!!!!!!. I thought I'd have to fight - not good.

Also any tips on what to do if anti malarials make me feel bad would be appreciated. I have deoxycycline. Anyone have any problems?

#1 Posted: 26/1/2012 - 12:55

• Advertisement

• annanel

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2012

BUY CLOTHES IN THAILAND! I can't stress this enough. Some things in Cambodia are cheaper- accommodation, cigarettes, drinks- but clothes are more expensive because they bring them from Thailand to sell here. And they bring the cheapest, worst quality because they can sell a pair of shorts for $10 when in Thailand you can buy nicer ones for $5. Bargaining is also easier in Thailand than in Cambodia.

I wish I had known this when I was in Thailand before coming to Cambodia. All the expats in Sihanoukville go to Thailand to shop. Hope I replied to you in time!

PS As for the anti-malarials- I haven't been taking mine for that same reason. Check online for malaria outbreaks- there was recently one on Koh Chang but since December I haven't heard of anything in the populated tourist areas. My doctor told me to wear mosquito repellant with DEET and avoid standing water like lakes or jungle swamps. Speaking with a local pharmacist may help if you can find one that speaks good English- they stock up on everything and it's way cheaper than at home.

#2 Posted: 31/1/2012 - 10:30

• annanel

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2012

BUY CLOTHES IN THAILAND! I can't stress this enough. Some things in Cambodia are cheaper- accommodation, cigarettes, drinks- but clothes are more expensive because they bring them from Thailand to sell here. And they bring the cheapest, worst quality because they can sell a pair of shorts for $10 when in Thailand you can buy nicer ones for $5. Bargaining is also easier in Thailand than in Cambodia.

I wish I had known this when I was in Thailand before coming to Cambodia. All the expats in Sihanoukville go to Thailand to shop. Hope I replied to you in time!

PS As for the anti-malarials- I haven't been taking mine for that same reason. Check online for malaria outbreaks- there was recently one on Koh Chang but since December I haven't heard of anything in the populated tourist areas. My doctor told me to wear mosquito repellant with DEET and avoid standing water like lakes or jungle swamps. Speaking with a local pharmacist may help if you can find one that speaks good English- they stock up on everything and it's way cheaper than at home.

#3 Posted: 31/1/2012 - 10:30

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Not necessarily in agreement.There are many factories near Phnom Penh in Kampong Speu which make designer clothes for the Western market.Try the night market in Phnom Penh on Fri,Sat and Sunday.The prices are rock bottom and no need to bargain.Most of the stuff is seconds from the factories but it's hard to find the fault.

#4 Posted: 31/1/2012 - 21:13

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

What about clothes and other things in Laos as compared to Thailand?

#5 Posted: 31/1/2012 - 22:00

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

If you wanted stuff like Evisu jeans, Billabong board shorts etc you need to go to KhoSan Rd.

Billabong,Tommy Hillfigur t-shirts etc, I think this kind of stuff is cheaper in Cambodia, if you bargain.

Altmtl:
    What do you mean by 'other things'? Clothes are certainly not cheaper in Laos than Thailand or Cambodia.

#6 Posted: 1/2/2012 - 00:48

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

other things... natural products, soaps, shampoo, facial scrubs.... etc

#7 Posted: 1/2/2012 - 07:09

• PeterW

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2011

Thanks for all the advice. Bought a few things in Bangkok so that will keep me going for now. Have to say - apart from fags I'd say Cambodia is really expensive compared to thailand! I'm supprised but there we go.

#8 Posted: 1/2/2012 - 23:15

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

...and booze is cheaper.

#9 Posted: 2/2/2012 - 05:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cheap Clothes - Thailand or Cambodia ... By PeterW on 26 Jan 2012 17 3461 20 Dec 2013