Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Cheap and legit massage in phnom penh?

• grak88

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2012

Can anyone recommend a cheap, clean, and legit massage place? Anyone been to the blind massage place recommended in LP?

#1 Posted: 12/2/2012 - 10:53

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Yes, I checked out the Blind Massage place. It was fine... not the best, not the worst.

#2 Posted: 12/2/2012 - 15:15

• Benno

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012

GRAK88,
    Pretty much ALL the massage places dotted around the public areas of Phnom Penh are legit. Range from $US4-10/hr. The Gov't really cracked down on the 'massage' palour scene and forced 99% of the non legit massage services into bars and places only those that do their research locate.
    Having spent about 10 days over 2 trips to Phnom Penh, the obvious massage joints did what the box said, massage.

The blind one 'Seeing Hands Massage' is OK and morally fantastic if not a little more expensive. The massages are OK, like busylizzy said, 50/50.

#3 Posted: 13/2/2012 - 03:03

• Lostbeachbum

Click here to learn more about Lostbeachbum
    Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2011
    Location United States

I just spent a month in PP and had near daily massages. Don't let the places full you, they might not advertise as much as before but extras are available at the vast majority of locations. My favorite place is $7 and in the old Kirichim Cinema at the corner of Sihanok and 125. It has a Western Spa feel to it and free steam bath. There is a large arcade on the 2nd floor which is a lot of fun afterwards. Seeing hands is also very good, never had a bad massage there. The places on the South end of the riverside give great oil foot massages. Have a great time in PP, I sure did!

#4 Posted: 19/2/2012 - 04:48

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"I just spent a month in PP and had near daily massages. Don't let the places full you, they might not advertise as much as before but extras are available at the vast majority of locations."

I would think that as long as you can get a quality massage, though, that exrtras being available would be irrelevent to everyone else here.

#5 Posted: 19/2/2012 - 05:12

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Sex is a big service industry in Cambodia and services are available in restaurants,karaoke joints and, of course, massage.that doesn't mean you can't get a good, straight massage but as a girl I know in the business told me with a smirk youu might want only a massage but you'll probably be tempted to take it further.I've just been informed a good place is Yanjo on Street 63.Near Lucky Supermarket just off Monivong,
    BTW the moral crusade to clean up the country happened about 18 months ago and like al govt initatives lasted just a few months. All is back to normal now

#6 Posted: 19/2/2012 - 07:09

• THEIBC

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

If you fancy a bit of luxury we offer a discount at Bodia Spa, which was awarded "Best Spa" in Cambodia. I think you may be being a bit too cautious about some places though, as the others have said, lots of 'dodgier' looking places can give you a good massage. Be careful if you ask for a traditional massage as some can be excruciatingly painful, even off the women!

#7 Posted: 21/2/2012 - 13:48

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

' Be careful if you ask for a traditional massage as some can be excruciatingly painful,'

that reminds me of one I had in Ayuthaya a while back.
    Beautiful traditional teak house, service was excellent and then she started walking on me.I heard the crack as I felt the pain-she'd managed to crack one of my ribs.don't let it put YOU off but for me that was the last Thai traditional massage.

#8 Posted: 21/2/2012 - 20:04

• Benno

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012

sayadian,

That's interesting and informative...the bit about the 'moral crusade' crack down 18mth ago and now back to normal, that's when I was in PP, hence the post above. A couple of locals I was speaking to were of the opinion that it was in for good but I guess like most less wealthy countries energy for a particular cause runs out of puff.

I hope it hasn't gone all sleezy town as I really like the place (Country for that matter).

Thanks for the info.

#9 Posted: 16/3/2012 - 16:46

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Benno
    Morality comes from the will of the people. If the will is there to induce certain morals, they will be present. Official "crackdowns" tend to be transient for this very reason. The more free a society is, the more you tend to see "immorality", because people are never unified on the definition of good morality. For example, my morals and my mothers are absolutely not the same.

#10 Posted: 16/3/2012 - 23:00

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Madmac
    interesting discourse but the rumour goes that Mrs Hun Sen was out shopping with her friends when she passed one of these establishments.Shocked,she spent the next few days nagging her husband to do something about it.So the places were raided.It didn't mean there was any general cleaning up of moral standards, it just gave the police the power to take the girls to the police stations 'were they receved the attentions of our wonderful police force for the night' Basically just a working night with the exception they didn't get paid.

#11 Posted: 17/3/2012 - 00:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I paid $25 US for the massage, versus the $10-12 US the other shops were advertising."

That's like 750 baht!!! We have a first class place at OTOP here for 150 an hour and it is NICE. Good ambience and so forth. Course that doesn't help if you're in Cambodia, but 25 bucks an hour?? That's almost stateside prices.

#12 Posted: 26/4/2012 - 02:44

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I'll second that as massage in Bangkok is around 150 baht. It's a really hard question to answer since Cambodia has got the morality of everything and everybody is for sale.You might find that sad but if you're a girl working for peanuts and you like the guy well...
    Most massage places advertise around $3.A lot of what you might call 'dodgy' places actually do a proper massage but as I said the rest is up to you.The girls tend to put themselves across a bit so temptation is always in the air but hey that's life.

#13 Posted: 26/4/2012 - 07:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Honda Win for sale Sihanoukville phnom penh. Vietnam Registered. Cheap! ... By ollyman84 on 17 Dec 2012 0 819 17 Dec 2012
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 1450 2 Mar 2014