Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Cambodia in May

• Popnorm

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2012

I have read that it can be extremely hot in Cambodia in May. Is it worth doing Ankor Wat at this time or would the heat be unbearable. We actually purchased some very cheap tickets from Australia to KL and now have to plan where to go (3-4weeks). We have visited Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and parts of Indonesia but have not made it to Cambodia yet. We do plan to have about a month in Bali on the way home. Any suggestions would be appreciated

#1 Posted: 12/2/2012 - 18:05

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Yes, it's bloody hot. And yes, it's doable. You just need to take it easy. To be fair, it's going to be pretty hot no matter when you go. I've been twice and I don't know that there was much difference in temp between May and Jan!

Don't plan on running around to as many temples as you can in a day. Get up as early and be there when the gates open. Take your time, bring lots of water and plan to have lunch, snooze or whatever during the heat of the day. We actually made our way back to the hotel around 3pm each day and had enough time for a dip in the pool before the afternoon showers struck. That helped to cool things down!

I would also plan on organising a tuktuk to take you around at that time of year rather than anything as strenuous like riding a bicycle.

If you go, also check out the temples further north from the main Angkor area (Kbal Spean and Banteay Srei). Driving along in a tuktuk for an hour or more will also help keep you cool!

#2 Posted: 12/2/2012 - 18:37

• Popnorm

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2012

Thanks busylizy for the very useful information. Certainly no plans for cycling!

#3 Posted: 12/2/2012 - 18:58

• Gabster

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2012

I agree with the above advice. It is hot but it sounds as though you're experienced in these parts and know what to expect.
    Bear in mind it is also rainy season so make sure to bring an umbrella or buy one of the tiny raincoats that will help a little. And don't wear shoes that you care about.

While you're in Cambodia, you may want to take a detour to Kep on the south coast which is a beautiful, quiet and unspoiled part of the country. There's a 30 minute boat trip to Rabbit Island where you can rent bungalows for around $7/night as well as get massages on the beautiful beach.

#4 Posted: 27/3/2012 - 00:14

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Temperature varies throughout the year.I left Phnom Penh a week ago and it was unbearable 40+c. In December,January, February we actually have to use a light duvet on the bed as it gets quite chilly at night.Bear in mind though that I am acclimatised which is the reason I'm freezing in UK in late April.Be glad to be back end of May.
    As far as the rainy season goes you can buy those cheap throw away capes anywhere but I find they defeat the object as they just retain the humidity and so you're still soaked.A good umbrella is a much better bet.An umbrella also doubles up as a sun shade

#5 Posted: 26/4/2012 - 02:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.