Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Angkor Wat Dress Code?

• grak88

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2012

Does anyone know if women can wear shorts and tank tops to Ankor Wat? Do people get denied entry based
    On what they are wearing? My search online gave conflicting results. Thanks.

#1 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 19:39

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

They are not very strict with dress code but out of respect for Cambodian people and culture you should wear decent clothing and not tank tops and shorts.

It's their national treasure, symbol of national pride and identity in deep ways we can not understand. You might as well slap them in their face by wearing shorts and tank tops. Doesn't mean that there aren't any tourists wearing that and are allowed in....

This applies especially to Angkor Wat itself and the other main temples (Bayon, Ta Prohm). The smaller ones you can treat as what they are: just old ruins. At those you shouldn't worry so much about dress code.

#2 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 19:58

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

I second what Eastwest wrote. In the temples, show respect by covering up.

#3 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 20:33

• hutty

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2009

I was just there a couple of days ago and no-one seems to care or respect a dress code

#4 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 20:42

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

@ Hutty: Which is no reason to ignore local sensibilities and values.

#5 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 20:44

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 200

I concur with all the above; you see some embarrassingly inappropriate outfits at the temples.

An additional reason to cover up is that a full day in the hot, strong sun on exposed skin can lead to some very pink bits - not so attractive when you come to wear that tank top out on Pub Street in the evening .........

#6 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 21:01

• hutty

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2009

@Archmichael - hey I never said that I agreed with the lack of respect - my GF wore a scarf over her head/shoulders while we were there (recommended by our tuk tuk driver who was excellent).

I was just saying that most tourists didnt seem to care - but then again a lot of them were wearing tubing singlets (tank tops), so that gives you a bit of an idea what they were like...

#7 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 21:11

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

And they are probably the same idiots who don't think twice about clambering all over the temples to get that perfect photo opp. Never mind what the accumulative damage will do over the years nor how disrespectful it is to the locals. Would people do this in their churches, heritage buildings, etc back home?

#8 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 21:15

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

@ Hutty: nothing personal intended.

@Busylizzy: probably are the same types. Last time at Angkor , October '11, I was on the topmost level and a tour group came through. The guide walked them past a wall of Apsara carvings, sliding his hand over the breasts as he walked along. Everyone in his group -15 or 20 of them - followed suit. Mindless. Absolutely mindless.

Back to Grak88's original question about a code: yes, there is one, ever how spottily it may be observed or enforced. One place I have seen it consistently enforced, though, is at the foot of the ladder/stairs leading to the uppermost level of Angkor Wat. I saw two youngish Western guys turned away because they were clad only in shorts (above the knees) and tank tops.

#9 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 22:41

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Liz, not to worry, they would. People don't become morons when they get off the plane in SEA. Rest assurred they were morons prior to boarding.

#10 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 22:54

• Advertisement

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Mac: exactly so.

#11 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 23:38

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

indeed

And it's always the foreigners who don't wear proper clothes. If you look at the Cambodian visitors, and there are a lot as well, they all wear their best clothes when visiting Angkor Wat.
    6 months ago I took my staff to see Angkor and I can't even describe how much it means to them to see it.
    Even the bargirls dress properly when they visit with their boyfriend of the day.

#12 Posted: 17/2/2012 - 00:37

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Perhaps the Cambodians use up all their moronic energy driving.

#13 Posted: 17/2/2012 - 02:12

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

uh....Can you elaborate?

#14 Posted: 17/2/2012 - 03:12

• Sambayongui-
    des

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Bakan, central towers of Angkor Wat, and Baphuon temple are strict. Knees and shoulders must be cover to enter, if not both man and woman are allowed to enter. The rest is fine, but tourists should wear sensitively for respecting local value.
    Sam

#15 Posted: 17/2/2012 - 07:41

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Eastwest
    Everyone who has been to both places tells me that the Cambodians are worse drivers than the Thais, and the Thais habitually turn off their brains when they start their engines... so perhaps the Cambodians have used all of their "moroness" in driving, and hence are less moronic in other aspects of their behavior, such as temple and palace visiting. Westerners don't use as much "moroness" driving, but seem to utilize it here for fashion.

#16 Posted: 17/2/2012 - 08:32

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Ah, I see. And actually a good point. I knew the terrible driving was good for something

#17 Posted: 17/2/2012 - 18:51

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

I'll say this, coming from Vietnam to Cambodia, the Cambodians are lean on their horns WAY less. For that alone I say they're the better drivers out of those two countries. The Vietnamese practically drive by sonar they beep those things so much.

#18 Posted: 22/2/2012 - 08:24

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

You should try Laos then. It's verrryyy quiet on the roads (relatively speaking!) compared to Cambodia and Vietnam. I think it's just a general sense of road politeness (which isn't to say that isn't crazy driving, of course!). The quietness, and the relative cleanliness (in the North, espeically) are what struck me.

#19 Posted: 22/2/2012 - 15:52

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Liz
    Must have been in the North, because Savanakhet is a filthy dump. Dusty, dirty and a lot of beggars. Savanakhet has this atrophying feel to it - like everything is falling apart slowly.

#20 Posted: 22/2/2012 - 21:57

• Anton1000

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2011

Previous post is correct. I was last there Nov11 and my friend was stopped from climbing the stairs of the Bakan as he was wearing a sleeveless t-shirt.
    Ahead of me in the que, a group of Japanese ladies wearing shorts were told to cover their legs or they could go no further, which comically ended in 4 Japanes women with rain coats tied around their waists.

#21 Posted: 2/3/2012 - 07:48

• qtiiwill

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2012

We were there on 14th May. 5 women in the group were denied entry to the sacred parts even though they were wearing full length sarongs specially purchased on advice of tour guide. They were told the skirts had to be sewn as well. Be warned as it is a scam to make you give Money to hire their skirts. We had earlier tried the zippered rain jacket around the waist (which well covered the knees) but this was not acceptable either as it was not a skirt. Sewn pants is the best way to go. Sarongs are okay for the Phnom pehn palace though.

#22 Posted: 21/5/2012 - 06:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
dress code ... By calitraveler on 25 Jul 2006 5 2872 25 Jul 2006
Ho Chi Minh mausoleum Dress Code ... By gatoguts on 26 Mar 2014 2 1485 28 Mar 2014
Dress code in Thailand/Cambodia temples/public places ... By erinj on 19 Nov 2007 1 3978 19 Nov 2007