Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Angkor Wat - 1 or 3 days?

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

So the deal they offer is $20 for a one day pass and $40 for a 3 day pass. I was wondering if people who've been think there's enough to see there to keep you busy for 2-3 days?

I have a flexible time budget, but if you can do it justice in a day I'll just grab the single pass.

#1 Posted: 23/2/2012 - 05:40

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

It's highly personal but given your general posts, without trying to sound judgmental, I think that 1 day would suffice for you. You can even add another day if you like it but 3 is probably too much for you.

#2 Posted: 23/2/2012 - 06:58

• ryder80

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2010

i was there last year, and would suggust a 3 day pass.

i assuming if you were doing a 1 day pass, you would probabky take a tuk-tuk tour right?

as for me, i did a 3 day pass, and did the tuk tuk tour for the 1st day, but at the hostel i was staying at, i met a bunch of people there and just rented bicyles for the 2nd and 3rd day, was an awesome experience just riding around, going at your own pace and of course sight seeing.... defintely recommend the 3 day tour pass

don't forget to visit "club temple" and/or "angkor wat bar"

#3 Posted: 23/2/2012 - 07:06

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

If you do a one day tour with a tuk tuk you'll get the small loop - which will include some of the larger temples. A 3 day pass will allow you to take your time with it all. You can see sunrise and sunset on different days and not feel like you are cramming it all in. I agree with ryder80 - rent a bicycle from your guest house and peddle around for a couple of days...very cool.
    That being said, if you tend to tire of temples after an hour then the one day pass should suffice. I took a 3 day pass last year and was happy I did it. The temples further out have less people and the tuk tuk/bicycle ride is more relaxing with less traffic.

#4 Posted: 23/2/2012 - 10:01

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I did the 3 day pass.

#5 Posted: 23/2/2012 - 10:03

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hey Cranky.

I quite happily spent 3 days there but was quite happy meandering around at a leisurely pace, spending hours photographing each temple at a 1001+ angles!

But for you (as eastwest says... taking into account what we know about you from previous posts!), I would suggest taking the 1-day pass. Find yourself a good tuk-tuk driver the day before, and get him to take you out to the temples the night before. They will let you in at the gate at 5pm the night before for a sunset visit (or possibly 4pm? I forget which but your driver will know). Forget about going to the popular 'sunrise' temples. They will be overcrowded with godzillions of people each clambering over the temple walls to get the 'best spot' to capture that special moment as the sun sets. Only problem is - it's far from special when it's so overcrowded! Instead, go find one of the other ones to explore at the time, or even to jet get your driver to drive you around the general area to give you an 'introductory tour'. It's a massive area!

The next day, haul your carcass out of bed at an ungodly hour... they will let you in the gates well before sunrise. Again, avoid going to the main Angkor Wat complex which will be overrun by busloads (and I do mean busloads) of tourists who are there to catch the sunrise. Instead, head on to the Bayon (temple of faces) - this is a fantastic temple to be at with the early morning light (photographically speaking. Then move on to Ta Phrom, the elephant and Leper Terraces, etc before heading back to Angkor Wat. By then, the main crowds will have disappeared and you will have a much more leisurely experience.

My personal favourite was Preah Khan - another expansive one that is overrun by jungle, but isn't one visited by a majority of visitors. When I was there, I would have been lucky to come across 10 people there!

You could probably cover off those main ones by midday quite easily...... then get your driver to take you out of the main Angkor area and up to Banteay Srei/ It's about an hour away by memory. It's another popular one, but worth seeing as it's probably the prettiest temple of the lot. On the drive back, get your driver to stop off at the Landmine museum - worth a quick stop.

It's also worthwhile visiting the Army Museum. I can't remember where it is exactly now and whether you would want to stop there on the way to Banteay Srei temple or if it's not that general area, leave it til another day. it's essentially a graveyard for army tanks, personnel carriers, etc. Pay for a guided tour to hear some interesting stories. I'm a girl, and normally have limited interest in gun 'n' things, even I found this place full of boys toys quite fascinating.

Enjoy! It'll be a full day, but you'll get your moneys worth.

#6 Posted: 23/2/2012 - 10:25

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Oh what you people think of me...

I've already rented a bicycle, so if Angkor Wat's within riding distance of the French Quarter I think I might be happy enough to ride around and see it all at my own pace over the course of 3 days. If it was going to be a $12 tuk tuk ride each day as well, I might just keep it to the one visit.

#7 Posted: 23/2/2012 - 11:40

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Ah well.... you didn't say a bicycle was part of the plan!

#8 Posted: 23/2/2012 - 12:25

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

It wasn't until I read some of the above posts from people who'd done it that way. I thought it'd be too far. My $1 a day push bike has the worst seat on it though, so 7km will probably feel more like 20km. They had good push bikes as well, but for $5 a day - seemed a bit much.

#9 Posted: 24/2/2012 - 00:50

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

I rock it 3 days lazily. Check the temples and whatever in the mornings. Lounge in the pool and recover with beer in the afternoon.

#10 Posted: 27/2/2012 - 00:57

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

'Sheed's got a good plan here!

#11 Posted: 27/2/2012 - 04:41

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

But no dancing!

#12 Posted: 27/2/2012 - 05:48

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Not even a little salsa?

Something I found out the hard way is that they issue tickets about 4km south from the site on the Charles De Gaulle road. Riding a push bike, I took the crooked road to the left of that, Savitha - coming from the Old French Quarter - and was stopped at the checkpoint just outside Angkor Wat. The guard said the only way in was to double back and get a ticket from the office mentioned above.

If you're planning to show up around sunset, you really need to know this beforehand.

#13 Posted: 29/2/2012 - 04:27

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

good to know... I want to do this tour when I am there. I only have 4 days in Cambodia and 2 will be spent in Siem Rep, 1 traveling back to PP with 24 hours or so before my flight. I am guessing a 1 day pass but 3 day might be better.

#14 Posted: 29/2/2012 - 09:10

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

So what all did you do in the end, Cranky? How did you find it?

#15 Posted: 29/2/2012 - 20:48

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

No salsa scene in Siem Reap. Sorry hombre. Got to go to PP for that.

#16 Posted: 29/2/2012 - 21:26

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

@Lizzy - I ended up just getting the day pass - scooting in quick the day before for the free sunset admission. Manged to clamber all over Angkor Wat before it got dark. Went back around 2pm the next day and rode all around Angkor Thom and surrounds.

I really doubt most people would have the stamina to stay out exploring in the heat for more than 4-5 hours at a stretch, but for me that was enough time get up close and examine Bayon (the temple with the heads) and climb up to one of the mountain top places, plus get a good look at most of the other sites.

I wanted to exchange my 1 day pass for a 3 day pass prior to having the ticket clipped, but they don't allow changes under any circumstances.

You can rush it a bit and get a good feel for the place in 1.5 days, if you're spry.

All temples and wats henceforth will seem puny by comparison.

#17 Posted: 1/3/2012 - 04:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.