Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Siem reap Family midrange hotel

Posted by quennoo on 22/3/2012 at 16:13

Hi this has probably be asked one hundred times before but if anyone can suggest some great quality hotels in SR I would be grateful. I am looking to split our 12 day stay at two places.
We are a family of 5. (3 kids under eight years)
Ideal features of hotel:
Budget 150 USD per night
Pool and air con
Benefit of being in town we can walk to get food etc however don't mind tuk tuk travel- so this may not be a major factor in the choice.
any tips would be welcomed
thanks

#1 quennoo has been a member since 4/1/2012. Posts: 4

Posted by busylizzy on 22/3/2012 at 16:50

Hi - We stayed at Royal Crown Hotel 2 years for 5-6 nights and thought it was very good. We paid US$35/night for a double room, including a pretty decent buffet-style breakfast. Pool is smallish, but wet and refreshing, and there weren't a lot of chairs around it. But that wasn't a problem as people are generally out and about and I found there was no one else around in the pool when I used it anyhow.

The hotel was just across the river from the main town, which meant it was a bit quieter, but an easy 5-10min walk into town - close to the restaurants, a market, etc. I seem to recall that WiFi was a bit hit and miss though, if that matters.

I would have no hesitation in recommending if it's in your budget. I think I booked it through Agoda or Asiarooms.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by Benno on 27/3/2012 at 07:13

queenoo,

I absolutely agree 100% with busylizzy on The Royal Crown Hotel. Quiet, large rooms, clean, close to town and quiet all for ~$30-40N. It has a pool, A/C, breakfast included.

I have stayed there twice and would go back there in a heartbeat.

Don't waste the extra $120 on a room, spend it on your kids with cool tours and adventures.

#3 Benno has been a member since 18/1/2012. Posts: 36

Posted by TonyL on 27/3/2012 at 20:45

I dont think that you can go past the Soria Moria Hotel. I have stayed there 3 times now. It is owned by a Norwegian lady who was trained at a top hotel management school in Australia. The quality of the rooms and inclusions are good 4 star. The only reason that it is not listed as 4 star but 3 is that it has no room for a pool - although there is a sun area and hot tub at the top. I stayed in their best rooms at $80 per night. Other rooms, a;ll good quality, are about $40. Excellent breakfast included as also is bus or airport pick up and return. It is located very close to the centre of town, night market and "Pub Street". The lady who owns it has put, as of 2010, six of her local staff through university at her own cost. So there is a charitable component to it as well. I have been to Cambodia a number of times, staying mainly at 4 and 5 star places; Soria Moria however is the best value that I have found there. Well worth giving it a try but book a few weeks in advance if you can.

#4 TonyL has been a member since 19/12/2006. Posts: 46

Posted by TonyL on 27/3/2012 at 20:46

I dont think that you can go past the Soria Moria Hotel. I have stayed there 3 times now. It is owned by a Norwegian lady who was trained at a top hotel management school in Australia. The quality of the rooms and inclusions are good 4 star. The only reason that it is not listed as 4 star but 3 is that it has no room for a pool - although there is a sun area and hot tub at the top. I stayed in their best rooms at $80 per night. Other rooms, a;ll good quality, are about $40. Excellent breakfast included as also is bus or airport pick up and return. It is located very close to the centre of town, night market and "Pub Street". The lady who owns it has put, as of 2010, six of her local staff through university at her own cost. So there is a charitable component to it as well. I have been to Cambodia a number of times, staying mainly at 4 and 5 star places; Soria Moria however is the best value that I have found there. Well worth giving it a try but book a few weeks in advance if you can.

#5 TonyL has been a member since 19/12/2006. Posts: 46

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.